Senior Partner
Senior Partner, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor

I am an American citizen applying for British citizen by descent.

I am an American citizen applying for British citizen by descent. My mother was a British citizen, born in England. My father is American and I was born in the US. I have a question on the Form UKM. For the good character requirement, will I have to recall every minor traffic citation I have received in my 54 years? I think there have been 3...they are'nt on my driving record any longer, and I do not recall the dates...they were all minor speeding ticketes requiring a mail in fine.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Senior Partner replied 5 years ago.
If you read the guidance for uKM it gives you precise details ( see circa page 6) offences that carry penalties not including imprisonment i.e. fines etc normally expire after 5 years. Non serious driving offences expire once the endorsement expires ( in the UK the licence has a record of offences known as an endorsement)

DUI and driving uninsured or without a licence are regarded as serious offences but speeding etc is regarded as trivial. so if they are not on your licence and were more than 5 years ago you can forget them.

You will find the detail in the guidance here: