Thomas
Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

I am an australian and have entered UK on a skiiled migrant

Customer Question

I am an australian and have entered UK on a skiiled migrant visa as a social worker for a council. I do not want to remain with this council and a friend who owns a Mechanical Business said he would sponsor me to be able to work as a social worker at another council. Would he be able to do that? If not, is there any way that I can stay in the UK since I have already been here for 12months or is the only opton to get another sponsorship or return to australia
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.

Would your friend actually be employing you as a licensed sponsor of skilled migrants?

It's just that I do not immediately see what Mechanical Business has to do with councils.

Kind regards,

Tom

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi

No he would no employ me. I would still need to find social work employment and would be willing to pay the sponsorship to my friend if he was able to sponsor me

Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for your reply.

I'm afraid that your friend could not sponsor you. It is only Employers who are intending on actually employing a tier 2 application who can apply for and obtain a licence to sponsor Tier 2 applicants. If you found an employer willing to do so then you could switch from your current sponsor to the new one without having to leave the country but you cannot do it with the involvement of your friend in the way you suggest.

I would approach the other council where you propose to work as social worker making them aware of your situation and asking whether they would be willing to apply to become a sponsor to enable you to switch. It's not that difficult and they may be interested if they are keen on your as a candidate. You may, for example, offer to pay their fees for this as an incentive.

You can switch in to a student visa category if you genuinely intend to study and have the requisite number of points, but I presume this is not attractive to you.

Let me know if any of the following apply and I shall further advise you:-

1. Are you in a relationship with a UK national, EEA member, person with indefinite leave to remain OR with leave to remain in another visa category

2. If you have any UK or commonwealth ancestry

3. If you have ancestry involving EEA member states.

If they do not apply then your only options are either staying with the council you are presently working with OR finding a new employer who is a licensed sponsor who is willing to employ you OR returning to Australia.

Sorry it could not be better news.

If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. You will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,

Tom

Thomas, Solicitor
Experience: BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Did you receive my reply. Im not sure because I pushed the accept answer first before I saw the reply button
Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi

My reply was to your question as to whether I have ancestors from UK. My grandfather was born in the Falkland Islands at a time when the British were in control of it. My ancestry goes back a long way with the name MacKay, Dont know if that will help my situation. Hope so.

Yvonne

Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.

Was either of your grandparents actually born in the UK?

Tom

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

If the falklands Islands is part of the UK then yes. The uk had control of the Falklands when my grandfather was born. Does that mean he was part of the UK. If it doesnt then the answer is no.