Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

My work visa runs out in August 2012. I plan to stop working

My work visa runs out in August 2012. I plan to stop working when it runs out, however I was hoping to travel around the UK for a few weeks after my visa expires. Would this be ok? Or would I need to go somewhere to get a tourist visa extension? If someone could advise what I can do in this situation I'd greatly appreciate it!
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.
Hi would you limit your traveling time to less than 28 days?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes, I wouldn't spend more than 28 days travelling in the UK. I might go to a few other European countries and then return to pick up the rest of my things before I return home. Would this be allowed? I'm just trying to figure out what my options are.
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for your reply.

The position is that if you leave the UK within 28 days of the expiry of your current visa then it will not be classed as an overstay and therefore would not affect any future application you would make for UK visa purposes:-

However, if you are a national of a country which normally requires a visitor's visa to visit and you leave the UK and attempt to re-enter after your visa has expired then you will not be permitted to re-enter. Therefore if you are to return after having left the UK after your work visa expires then you will need to secure a visitor's visa in order to do so.

If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. You will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,