How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask UK-Justice Your Own Question

UK-Justice, Barrister
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 16193
Experience:  Called to the Bar in 2007
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
UK-Justice is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

(Indian) Need UK student visa after US shoplifting charge

Customer Question

I am an INDIAN citizen looking to apply for a PhD programme in the UK. In 2008 when I was in the US on some work I was charged with shoplifting (first and only time). -I was ARRESTED, PHOTOGRAPHED and FINGERPRINTED. -NO JAIL TIME though. -I plead GUILTY and asked for time in court. Meanwhile I did some community service. When I appeared in court the CHARGES WERE DROPPED. -I applied for EXPUNGEMENT OF DETAILS from the record. That went through. - When I re-applied for my US work visa, I did not declare that I had been arrested once (assuming I don't need to and it wont show up since my application for expungement from record had gone through). -However, the US Visa authorities in India had it on their records. When they brought it up I had to explain. They did give me the visa ultimately. - MY QUESTION IS: With this background, I am now back in India and looking to apply for a PhD programme in the UK. Do I have to DECLARE it to the UK visa authorities and university? -What are the chances that they will have it on the records due to data sharing between the 2 countries? -I know it was a minor first time offence but I was photographed and finger printed (perhaps my being a foreigner made them extra cautious). Pls advise urgently. Thanks.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  UK-Justice replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for your question. Please remember to click ACCEPT once you get my answer.

1) If you have a letter from the US saying that it has been destroyed then no, you would not have to declare it.

You need to make sure you have documentary evidence confirming this. I have to say it is very unusual to have a criminal record deleted if you have pleaded guilty to something.

But if you have the evidence in writing then you will be fine.

If that is the case you need not declare it to the UK.

If the Indian government have passed this information on then the UK will have a copy under data sharing. But if you have evidence that it was destroyed you will be fine.

It makes no difference whether it was a first offence or not, but you are relying on the conviction being destroyed - I go back to my point about having this in writing - if you do, there will be no problem.

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • Thomas



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
< Last | Next >
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • A Hayat's Avatar

    A Hayat

    Immigration Solicitor

    Satisfied Customers:

    13 years specialist skill in UK Immigration & Nationality Law
  • Paul Richmond's Avatar

    Paul Richmond


    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons) (First Class), LL.M (Distinction), Immigration Barrister (12 years)
  • Awan-Legal's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Specialist in immigration law with the highest level of accreditation in this area and with many years experience.
  • John Knox's Avatar

    John Knox


    Satisfied Customers:

    solicitor with 8 years experience