How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Thomas Your Own Question

Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7036
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Illegal in UK no visa came to UK illegally what can be done

Customer Question

Illegal in UK no visa came to UK illegally what can be done ! Originally from Belarus been living in UK for 2 years ! Bellarussian passport finishing in March !
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 4 years ago.



Are you in a relationship and/or married to a UK citizen or someone with indefinite leave to remain?


Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I am in relationship with Russian girl but she doesn't have indefinite leave to remain ! Been living with her for 1 year
Expert:  Thomas replied 4 years ago.



What visa is she on?


Do you have any children here in the UK?


Customer: replied 4 years ago.
She is on Student Visa for over 7 years
Unfortunately no children
Expert:  Thomas replied 4 years ago.



Your options are very limited. Your overstay is grounds for refusal for all visas except those relating to your marriage or long term relationship (ie 2 years cohabiting) to a UK national or person with indefinite leave to remain. Even then as you are here illegally the UKBA would require you return home and make your application from there, though they would not be able to rely on the overstay alone as sole grounds for refusal.


Your girlfriend would only be able to apply for ILR after ten years.


You cannot apply as a dependent of your girlfriend because you are not married to her and even then it would be legitimate grounds for refusal.


There do not appear to be any grounds for an Article 8 RIght to Family and Private Life discretionary application.


You could attempt to make an application for asylum but it must be genuine. IN order to be legitimate you must not be able to return to your home country because you have a well-founded fear of persecution because of your:

  • race;
  • religion;
  • nationality;
  • political opinion; or
  • membership of a particular social group.


You would have to prove the above by using documentary evidence and if your claim is found to be spurious then this could affect any future application you make. In reality less than 20% of persons claiming asylum are actually successful.


You can only claim ILR on the basis of long residence if you have been here illegally for 14 years so obviously you're a very long way off of that.


Sorry it could not be better news.

If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. You will be free to ask follow up questions.


Kind regards,


Thomas, Solicitor
Satisfied Customers: 7036
Experience: BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
If I will be living with my girlfriend and pay all the bills like electricity , gas bills is it possible to get visa somehow ? or is it possible to do a civil marriage ?
Expert:  Thomas replied 4 years ago.
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
Expert:  Thomas replied 4 years ago.


What level of study is she doing - diploma, degree, masters?


JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • Thomas


    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
< Last | Next >
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • A Hayat's Avatar

    A Hayat

    Immigration Solicitor

    Satisfied Customers:

    13 years specialist skill in UK Immigration & Nationality Law
  • Paul Richmond's Avatar

    Paul Richmond


    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons) (First Class), LL.M (Distinction), Immigration Barrister (12 years)
  • Awan-Legal's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Specialist in immigration law with the highest level of accreditation in this area and with many years experience.
  • John Knox's Avatar

    John Knox


    Satisfied Customers:

    solicitor with 8 years experience