Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

hi,im a nurse who entered uk april 2006 with a student visa

hi,i'm a nurse who entered uk april 2006 with a student visa at that time,got my nmc pin no.6 mos. later and work permit thereafter.I will be 5 years continues staying in the uk.I got a new job as well within this period with a new work permit,but had a gap/few months not working.My query is that am i qualified to apply for settlement on the basis of 5-year continues stay or should be a 5-year continues work ?What will be my status in this regard.Your advice is highly appreciated.Many thanks.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for your question.

I'm afraid that your time as a student would not be relevant to an application for indefinite leave to remain. Students do not benefit insofar as ILR eligibility is concerned in the same way spouses/workers/family members/asylum cases do, they can eventually apply for ILR but only on the basis of long residence (ie. 10 years).

You must complete 5 years continuous work starting from the date you received your worker's visa and started working I'm afraid.

Sorry it could not be better news. If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. You will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

follow up question,once my visa expires do i have the possibility to extend my working visa and stay just want to reiterate my status here.
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

If you are on a worker's visa now and in the UK working then you are free to extend the visa before it expires in order to secure you leave to remain and work here - the immigration cap on worker's visas only applies to persons who are out of the UK and wish to apply.

Hope this clarifies.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
thank you and more power.....