Thomas
Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

hello sir actually am on post study work with qualification

Customer Question

hello sir
actually am on post study work with qualification of pg certificate need to switch to tier 1 general but hearing lots of people saying that i cnt use pgc to apply tier1 i dont really know where i stand id like to seek advice from you
many thks
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.

Do you have a bachelor's degree?

When you say "pg certificate", are you referring to you holding a Postgraduate Certificate in Education (ie. teaching training qualification)?

Tom

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yes it's a post graduate certificate from oxford business college and its above a bachelor degree level and i have the confirmation from my college
Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.

Sorry if I appear to be pedantic, but a Postgraduate Certificate of Education is a vocational qualification obtained by persons seeking to be teachers.

Is this what you have?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
its a post graduate certificate in business management from oxford business college thats what i used to apply for my post study work 18 month ago
Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.

Okay.

Do you also hold a bachelor's degree?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
no
Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.

Post-graduate Certificate rather implies that it is a qualification for persons already holding a bachelor's degree.

Why do you believe it is above bachelor degree level?

How long was the course?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
the course was up to 6 month and it clearly says on a letter from my college that this certificate is up to a bachelors level
Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.

Before I answer, do you mind if I ask whether you have any other academic qualifications because I am unsure of the academic status of the certificate you mention.

Can also post the link to the Oxford Business College's website where you have received it please?

Thanks.

Tom

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yep i've advanced diploma in business administration from corporation of executives and administrators
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.

Right.

Okay. I think your diploma was taken in to account by your college in deciding what is required to 'top you up' to degree level.

The gap of academic learning between a diploma and degree level can be made by other courses, which I think is what has happened here. Technically although you do not have a degree you do hold a qualification equivalent to a degree.

Provided you have documentary evidence from your college (and that the college itself is reputable and known to the UKBA) that the certificate you have been awarded has been so awarded because you are now educated to a degree level then this should be sufficient to obtain the points available in respect of a bachelor's degree.

You should include this documentary evidence (eg. certificate and statement from your college) with your application to switch to a tier one visa

This is based on the information you have stated to me, obviously I cannot be definitive without actually first having seen the documents themselves.

If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. You will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,

Tom

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok

but when i enter all my details on the pbs calculator it doesn't give me any points apart from that i can claim points for age 5, qualification 30 if i use the bottom of the pbs caculator where it says (if you know the level of your qualification) earnings up to 66500k that gives me 40, and everything else am scoring points but am not sure for english language!!!

Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.

Hi

Please click accept and I will continue to answer your follow up questions.

Tom

Thomas, Solicitor
Experience: BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok

Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.

Are you asking about how to accrue points for your english language requirement?

Tom

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes pls

Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.

Okay, what country are you from originally? (ie. what is your passport).

Tom

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
am from mauritius
Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.