Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

I have a fiancee in usa. who i want to bring to england to

I have a fiancee in usa. who i want to bring to england: to marry & settle down as a family.
She has a 10 year old daughter.

I cant make out what to do via boarders agency web site. All i know is i have to contact a specialist in this field.

What are the problems i have to get over to do this legaly?

Yours Mr. Ian Nutkins

Hi Ian,

You can apply for a fiance visa so that he can come here specifically for the purpose of marrying you. The eligibility criteria for this is as follows, you will have to show that:-

• You plan to marry within 6 months of her arriving here (egg. statements from you and others, possibly a booking of a church/venue)
  • You plan to live permanently together here (statements, correspondence)
  • You have met each other before (eg. statements from you both and others, correspondence)
  • You can support each other without the need for public funds (bank statements, evidence of income, evidence of jobs available that your husband could do)
  • You have suitable accommodation which is owned or lived in only by you or your household and where you and your dependents can live without any help from public funds (tenancy agreement, land registry docs if you your own home)
  • That neither of you are younger than 21 years of age. (birth certificates, passports)

You will see that I have put suggestions of supporting documentation that you should enclose with the application in brackets.

You will need to apply for fiance/spouses visa using form VAF4 which is available for download from the UKBA website

You should consider instructing a immigration solicitor to prepare an application for you , it would cost in the region of £800-1000+Vat for them to prepare the application.

You can find local solicitors via:-

Once married, a further application will have to be made by your then wife for a spouses visa. This will be granted for 27 months. At the end of this time she can apply for indefinite leave to remain in the UK. 12 months after receiving ILR she can apply to be naturalised as a UK citizen and thereafter a UK passport if she so wishes.

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,

Edited by T_Graham12 on 2/13/2011 at 4:12 PM EST