How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Thomas Your Own Question

Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7038
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My fiance is in Osaka at the moment and she is Filipina, what

Resolved Question:

My fiance is in Osaka at the moment and she is Filipina, what paperwork has to be completed etc before she can stay in Scotland with me for any length of time? I understand if she got a visa it would only be for 2 weeks? We plan to get married, and I am just wondering how soon we should organise or indeed get married so that she can stay here with me?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 4 years ago.



Do you plan to marry in the UK or where she is?


Kind regards,



Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Marry in Scotland.
Expert:  Thomas replied 4 years ago.



If you are to marry in Scotland and settle here afterwards then she will have to apply for a fiance visa. This is a visa which permits her to travel here for the purpose of marrying within 6 months of the date of the grant of the visa.


If you wish to apply for a fiance visa so that you can marry here you must show that:-


  • You plan to marry within 6 months of her arriving here (eg. statements from you and others, possibly a booking of a church/venue or other evidence showing your firm intention to marry)
  • You plan to live permanently together here (statements, correspondence)
  • You have met each other before (eg. statements from you both and others, correspondence, photographs)
  • You can support each other without the need for public funds (bank statements, evidence of income, evidence of jobs available in your area that your wife could do and earn an income from)
  • You have suitable accommodation which is owned or lived in only by you or your household and where you and your dependents can live without any help from public funds (tenancy agreement, land registry docs if you your own home)
  • That neither of you are younger than 21 years of age. (birth certificates, passports)

She will also have to pass an English language test to demonstrate that she has very basic command of listening and spoken English. She can find out the location of approved test providers in Osaka from the UK embassy, Info here:-


You will see that I have put suggestions of supporting documents that you should submit with his applications in brackets. You should instruct a UK solicitor to prepare the application for you to give you the best possibly chance of success without the need to appeal. IT should cost in the region of £800-1000 +VAT for them to prepare the application for you. Don't be afraid to shop around though and make sure you pin them down on acting for you on a fixed fee basis.


You can find UK based immigration solicitors near you by using the following search engine, entering your postcode and selecting "immigration law" from the area of law drop down menu:-


She will have to apply using form VAF4, which is available for download from the UKBA's visa services website. The UKBA aims to reach a decision on these applications within 6-8 weeks of submission but they frequently overrun. If they reject the application then you will be free to appeal to an immigration tribunal in front of a judge. You get a fairer hearing here than you do with a mere immigration official of the UKBA and you are permitted to adduce new evidence and supporting documentation.


Once married she will have to apply for a spouses visa. This is granted for a period of two years. She can then apply for indefinite leave to remain. Twelve months after receiving ILR she can apply to be naturalised as a UK citizen and then apply for a UK passport.


If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,


Thomas, Solicitor
Satisfied Customers: 7038
Experience: BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • Thomas


    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
< Last | Next >
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • A Hayat's Avatar

    A Hayat

    Immigration Solicitor

    Satisfied Customers:

    13 years specialist skill in UK Immigration & Nationality Law
  • Paul Richmond's Avatar

    Paul Richmond


    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons) (First Class), LL.M (Distinction), Immigration Barrister (12 years)
  • Awan-Legal's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Specialist in immigration law with the highest level of accreditation in this area and with many years experience.
  • John Knox's Avatar

    John Knox


    Satisfied Customers:

    solicitor with 8 years experience