Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

My fiance is in Osaka at the moment and she is Filipina, what

My fiance is in Osaka at the moment and she is Filipina, what paperwork has to be completed etc before she can stay in Scotland with me for any length of time? I understand if she got a visa it would only be for 2 weeks? We plan to get married, and I am just wondering how soon we should organise or indeed get married so that she can stay here with me?

Do you plan to marry in the UK or where she is?

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Marry in Scotland.

If you are to marry in Scotland and settle here afterwards then she will have to apply for a fiance visa. This is a visa which permits her to travel here for the purpose of marrying within 6 months of the date of the grant of the visa.

If you wish to apply for a fiance visa so that you can marry here you must show that:-

• You plan to marry within 6 months of her arriving here (eg. statements from you and others, possibly a booking of a church/venue or other evidence showing your firm intention to marry)
  • You plan to live permanently together here (statements, correspondence)
  • You have met each other before (eg. statements from you both and others, correspondence, photographs)
  • You can support each other without the need for public funds (bank statements, evidence of income, evidence of jobs available in your area that your wife could do and earn an income from)
  • You have suitable accommodation which is owned or lived in only by you or your household and where you and your dependents can live without any help from public funds (tenancy agreement, land registry docs if you your own home)
  • That neither of you are younger than 21 years of age. (birth certificates, passports)

She will also have to pass an English language test to demonstrate that she has very basic command of listening and spoken English. She can find out the location of approved test providers in Osaka from the UK embassy, Info here:-

You will see that I have put suggestions of supporting documents that you should submit with his applications in brackets. You should instruct a UK solicitor to prepare the application for you to give you the best possibly chance of success without the need to appeal. IT should cost in the region of £800-1000 +VAT for them to prepare the application for you. Don't be afraid to shop around though and make sure you pin them down on acting for you on a fixed fee basis.

You can find UK based immigration solicitors near you by using the following search engine, entering your postcode and selecting "immigration law" from the area of law drop down menu:-

She will have to apply using form VAF4, which is available for download from the UKBA's visa services website. The UKBA aims to reach a decision on these applications within 6-8 weeks of submission but they frequently overrun. If they reject the application then you will be free to appeal to an immigration tribunal in front of a judge. You get a fairer hearing here than you do with a mere immigration official of the UKBA and you are permitted to adduce new evidence and supporting documentation.

Once married she will have to apply for a spouses visa. This is granted for a period of two years. She can then apply for indefinite leave to remain. Twelve months after receiving ILR she can apply to be naturalised as a UK citizen and then apply for a UK passport.

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,