Thomas
Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

Hi My wife and i are about to submit an application for a

Hi
My wife and i are about to submit an application for a settlement visa allowing my wife to come to the UK. I am a British citizen living in the UK and my wife is South African and is currently in SA. My question is will my wife have to sit the new english test enterance requirement. Given the fact she has in the recent past lived and worked in the UK for 2 years, Speaks and writes in english very well, and has generally a good command of the language?
regards

Aidan
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

Aidan.

I have answered on the other thread.

ON the UKBA website it lists the persons who need to carry out the test:-

http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/aboutus/features/englishlangrequirementpartners

But they are deemed to meet the requirement if they come from and majority english speaking country. However, south Africa (strange as it is) is not deemed to be one of these. You can check here at 3:-

http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/resources/en/docs/2885878/guidepartnersenglishlangrequirement

Kind regards,

Tom

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Hi

Yes, i was aware that South Africa was strangely not on the list. However, what i would like to know is there any form of exemption for persons that have lived and worked in the UK prior to the introduction of this test.

regard

Aidan

Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

Aidan,

Does your wife hold an academic qualification equivalent to a bachelor's degree in the UK from course which was taught in English.

Tom

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

She has no degree level qualifications in english, so i would assume she will have to sit the test. Just for the record i find it puzzling that our european neighbours are allowed into the UK with no equivalent test. In my experience it is often the case that there spoken english is very poor. I feel this immagration policy is ill conceived.

thanks anyways

Aidan

Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

Aidan,

I'd be inclined to agree but I'm afraid it's the rights of EEA nationals. UK citizens can work freely within the EEA with no language skills as well of course.

I doubt any of the exemptions at 3 a)-c) apply to her so I think she will have to take the test.

I would recommend calling the UKBA to see if they have updated their list of majority english speaking countries since the above publication however.

Please click accept.

Kind regards,

Tom