How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7600
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a retired university professor with US citizenship who

Resolved Question:

I am a retired university professor with US citizenship who is interested in relocating to the UK. I am self-sufficient and have assets to cover my expenses, as well as a pension from New York State. I am currently in a relationship with a UK citizen, which might lead to marriage. What are my immigration options? Also, what are my options for extended visas.
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

Good Evening,


Are their any firm plans for when you might marry and, if so, have you considered whether you would do so in the US or UK?



Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No firm plans at this time, though it would probably not happen before the end of this year. It would happen in the UK.
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.



Thanks for your reply.


Are you cohabiting with your partner?


If so please state the length of the cohabitation.


Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No, not at this time.
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.



Where is your partner based at present?


How long have you been in a relationship for and have you ever actually cohabited



Customer: replied 6 years ago.
We have been in a relationship for 6 months. I am currently living in her house (for the last month), but she is mostly away caring for a sick mother. We have known each other for 39 years.
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.



I'm afraid that the criteria for an unmarried partners visa is that you must have been in a relationship and cohabited for two years prior to the date of any application for a visa of this type.


If you are not to work in the UK then you would also not be able to apply for any of the working visas either.


If you are to marry in the future in the UK then you could apply for a fiance visa so that you could travel to the UK and marry within 6 months of the date of the visa.


The criteria for a fiance is as follows and it is much the same for a spouses visa (which you would need to apply for following marriage:-

  • You plan to marry within 6 months of her arriving here (egg. statements from you and others, possibly a booking of a church/venue)
  • You plan to live permanently together here (statements, correspondence)
  • You have met each other before (eg. statements from you both and others, correspondence)
  • You can support each other without the need for public funds (bank statements, evidence of income, evidence of jobs available that your husband could do)
  • You have suitable accommodation which is owned or lived in only by you or your household and where you and your dependents can live without any help from public funds (tenancy agreement, land registry docs if you your own home)
  • That neither of you are younger than 21 years of age. (birth certificates, passports)

You will also have to pass and english language test showing he has a basic command of spoken and listening English. You can find out approved test providers in your area by contacting the UK embassy nearest to You.


You would need to apply for fiance visa using form VAF4 which is available for download from the UKBA website.


Until such time as you are ready to apply for a fiance visa you will have to put up with visitor's visas, these are granted for 6 months at a time. There must obviously be a gap between one visitor's visa and the next though.


I would consider instructing a UK solicitor to prepare the fiance visa application for you when the time comes, you can find solicitors via:-



If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,


Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related UK Immigration Law Questions