How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Senior Partner Your Own Question
Senior Partner
Senior Partner, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 13325
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Senior Partner is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

hi vietnames women living in manchester 8 years.

Resolved Question:

hi vietnames women living in manchester 8 years. i have indefinite leave to remain in uk on 25-feb-2210. now i want to apply british citizenship. i had entry level certificate. esol-skills for life[ speaking and istening] in awaaz enterprises t/a impact college .can you tell me when i can apply british citizenship? and this certificate ok for me to use ? cos i have beeb told the law change on this january.
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Senior Partner replied 6 years ago.
Can you confirm when you were granted indefinite leave to remain?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
hi . i have grand indefinite to leave to remain in uk from 25 feb- 2010
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
hi. how long i have to wait for your answer?
Expert:  Senior Partner replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for providing the additional information. Once you have been free of immigration restrictions i.e. have ILR for 12 months and provided ( as I assume is the case) you have not been in breach of the immigration rules during your residence here then you can apply for naturalisation.

You do not say if you produced the ESOL test and it included knowledge of language and life in order to obtain indefinite leave - if so you do not need to do so again but otherwise you will need to produce produce this to obtain citizenship. Your existing certificate will be valid if it covers knowledge of language and the college is accredited- you will find the requirements set out here:

If the college is not accredited and you did not produce evidence of language and knowledge when you applied for ILR then you will have to pass the ESOL test again at an accredited college. The college should be able to tell you if they are accredited
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
hi. i still dont know about my cetificate can use or not. if i sent them and homeoffice not except that. i will lost 780 pounds. thats why i need to ask you first. please give me clearer answer. thank you
Expert:  Senior Partner replied 6 years ago.
Please read my earlier answer.

Did you establish knowledge and language by submission of your ESOL when you you applied for ILR? If yes you don't need to do so again.

If not then you need to produce a certificate from an accredited college for ESOL level 1 2 or 3 including citizenship materials. Your college should be able to tell you whether your certificate complies and they are accredited. If you took the test before april 2010 it may not as the rules changed then and the ESOL you took may not have included citizenship materials.

You are correct if you send in the wrong certificate you will lose you money. that is why I sent you the link to BA page that tells you exactly what is required. Check with the college
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
hi. can i still apply after 12 months if i devoice with my husband?. i was refused by sylum seeker and grand to leave to re main from 23-may-2003
Expert:  Senior Partner replied 6 years ago.
If you have been here for 5 years or more without breach of the rules and have 12 months unlimited leave to remain then yes you can apply. Once you have ULR divorce is not relevant
Senior Partner and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related UK Immigration Law Questions