How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7407
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

would you please help me i got my british citizenship i call

This answer was rated:

would you please help me i got my british citizenship i call my son to join me here in England as studnt visa. couldnt i apply him for indefinite leave to remain under my status

The mother acquired UK citizenship.


The son has been here on a student visa and wishes to know whether he could apply for ILR either on the basis of his stay here as a student or as the dependent of the mother.


Is the above correct?



Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes it is correct . Please tell me what will be my next step to support my son, for he wanted to stay here in united kingdom to work .Is there any possible way that my son could apply for he could stay longer here in united kindom.

Thank You



How old is your son?


How long has he been in the UK as a student?


Customer: replied 5 years ago.
dear sir Tom

my son age is 27 years old
Hes been here in UK nearly 2years this coming April




When did you obtain your UK citizenship?


Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I got it last July 1,2009



Your son is not eligible for UK citizenship or for indefinite leave to remain or another vise on the basis of his dependency upon you. To be a dependent one must be younger than 18 years old. This is not a possibility for him I'm afraid.


He will either have to continue his studies and apply for an extension of his student visa or otherwise apply under the Tier 1 (General) visa (if he has enough points) or Tier 2 (general) (if he has enough points and can find a sponsor. You check his points eligibility here:-


Tier 1 is Highly Skilled...etc.. on the above page


Tier 2 is Skilled Workers on the above page.


If nether of these are a possibility then he would have to return home at the end of his visa. If he does not he will become an over stayer which entitles the UKBA to reject any application he may make in the future except those based on his marriage/relationship to a UK national or someone with ILR.


Sorry it could not be better news.


If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. You will be free to ask follow up questions


Kind regards,



Thomas, Solicitor
Satisfied Customers: 7407
Experience: BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • Thomas



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
< Last | Next >
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • Clare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years hight street experience
  • A Hayat's Avatar

    A Hayat

    Immigration Solicitor

    Satisfied Customers:

    13 years specialist skill in UK Immigration & Nationality Law
  • Paul Richmond's Avatar

    Paul Richmond


    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons) (First Class), LL.M (Distinction), Immigration Barrister (12 years)
  • Awan-Legal's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Specialist in immigration law with the highest level of accreditation in this area and with many years experience.