How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alice H Your Own Question
Alice H
Alice H, Solicitor Advocate
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 2847
Experience:  Partner in national law firm.
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Alice H is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

hi my wife has overstayed on a spouce visa by 4 years, i didnt

Customer Question

hi my wife has overstayed on a spouce visa by 4 years, i didnt realise it had expired. i am in the process of applying for ILR. she has done the relevant english course but i am struggling to obtain all the relevant paper work, like joint bank account statement as this was only recently done, all other bills are on my fathers name as we are and have been living with him. Also he does not have alot of letters on her name at the same address. we have 2 children and i am seriosly worried about what will happen

what is the likely hood she will be granted ILR or will it be declined and what is the next step??

Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Alice H replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for your question.


Why has it taken this long to apply for ILR?


Have either of you claimed any benefits?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I thought she had ILR when she came over it was only when we planned a holiday we found out it was only for two years

No benefits claimed
Expert:  Alice H replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for the additional information.


I cannot help you with obtaining the documents you need to make your application, but I can tell you that UKBA has a discretion in these cases to grant leave to remain in the UK even if the visa has expired. This does not mean that you should delay your application - on the contrary your wife is presently in breach of the immigration rules and, although it is unlikely she will be deported because of your circumstances, you must move quickly to avoid any enforcement action being taken. The sooner you make the application & explain the delay the more likely it is that the application will be granted.


I can help you to ensure you complete the right forms, pay the right fee and obtain the right documents before you submit your application. However, please click ACCEPT so I get credit for my answer so far.



Customer: replied 5 years ago.

you have misunderstood, i am not asking for documents but i need to know other than the basic documents which need to go with the from set(m) is there any addtional infomation i need??



Customer: replied 5 years ago.

also do i apply for an extension, or ILR.


if declined by UKBA what happens next?? how long will the process take?

Expert:  Alice H replied 5 years ago.
Please click ACCEPT so I get credit for my answer so far. I will answer any further questions that you have.
Expert:  Alice H replied 5 years ago.

First here is a link to process the Form Set(M) online


Section 10 sets out the documents that are required. You must provide originals of the documents. You do not have to give anything more than what is in the checklist.


You cannot apply for a visa extension as you are well out of time. However, when you submit the ILR application you can explain the reason for the delay. If accepted, and you have provided the correct documents, ILR should be granted quite quickly.


If ILR is refused your wife could be deported and she would have to make a fresh application to return to the UK. However, the needs of your children are paramount so it is unlikely that UKBA would deport her. Even if they decided to take such drastic steps your wife has the right of appeal.


Customer: replied 5 years ago.
But as i said i do not have much info ie documents with both of our names on. I only have a few hospital letters and bank letters and statements with her names on.

I have p60's and payslips and a work contract for myself
I have old electricity bills on my dads name and some with my name.

On her name bank statements and letters from the hospital will these be sufficent enough?

What else will be required?
Expert:  Alice H replied 5 years ago.

You should send the documents you have and explain why others may be missing. The important thing is to get the application form in as soon as possible. If you cannot supply utility bills etc with your wife's name you should get a letter from your father to confirm that he is the bill payer. The hospital letters, bank statements etc will be fine so long as they show a history that your wife has been living in the UK since she arrived.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
So if worst case we fail in an appeal whats the next step is there anything under human rights?

Have u in your experience come across a case like this.

In your experience what will the outcome be based on the info i have told you.

Also what could i put in a letter explaining the delay so they are understanding?

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • Thomas



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
< Last | Next >
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • Clare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years hight street experience
  • A Hayat's Avatar

    A Hayat

    Immigration Solicitor

    Satisfied Customers:

    13 years specialist skill in UK Immigration & Nationality Law
  • Paul Richmond's Avatar

    Paul Richmond


    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons) (First Class), LL.M (Distinction), Immigration Barrister (12 years)
  • Awan-Legal's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Specialist in immigration law with the highest level of accreditation in this area and with many years experience.