Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

I am a US citizen, but been living in Montreal since 95 because

Customer Question

I am a US citizen, but been living in Montreal since 95 because of husbands work, I am classified as a "Landed Immigrant" Now we are divorcing. My daughter married and moved to Scotland, now they are divorcing but she has a baby. How can I go and live there, and take care of the baby while she works. I will have a settlement from my marriage, I will not be broke. But we need to be a family for each other. She can not come here, because the husband will not release the baby. Please I need to be with my girls, help me do this.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  JGM replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for your question.

What age are you and what nationality is your daughter?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am 55 year old female American citizen but living in Canada because of my husbands work. I am a permanent Resident of Canada, but do not have citizenship. My daughter was born in America, is an American, but we all moved to Canada in 1995 because of my husbands job. Kate met her husband in Scotland in 2006, they were married in 2007. She had a baby the end of July 2008. I know she is entitled to her British citizenship next year. She was hoping we could help each other, by me helping her with her daughter.