INC, Solicitor-Advocate
Experience:  LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)

my daughter (age 27) has been living with a south african (24)

my daughter (age 27) has been living with a south african (24) for the last 1 1/2 years. he had come to northern ireland age 16 to complete his schooling to a level and then part time at university. he wa stopped by police when overtaking a police car- it turned out that his visa had expired months before which i think was a student visa and he was no longer a student- and that he was driving without insurance. the duty solicitor suggested that he should return to south africa and then reapply for a uk visa and that this would be quick and successful. he is an inveterate optimist and i am concerned that the reissue of a visa may be more problematic. my daughter is planning to go out to south africa and is expecting that he would be able to return to uk soon- i think she should wait until the visa is there any other legal steps he should be taking.kenny martin
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  INC replied 5 years ago.

Hi Kenny,

Thanks for your question.

If your daughter's partner is an overstayer, the best thing he could do is return back to SA and submit a fresh application from there.

The only alternative is for them to make some sort of application based on their relationship. This is only likely to be successful if they plan to marry.

I hope this answers your question. If so, kindly click accept.

If you wish to discuss, please feel free to ask further questions.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
would you have any idea how long the process of applying for a new visa would take and the likelihood of being accepted. apparently about 2 yeaqrs ago he had been offered permanent residence status but offer lapsed and he did nothing about it as he had expected to travel elsewhere.
thanks for first answer- i thought that that would be the case.kenny
Expert:  INC replied 5 years ago.

Hi Kenny,

The process can take anythiong upwards of 4-6 weeks.