Alice H
Alice H, Solicitor Advocate
Experience:  Partner in national law firm.

I am an international student at a Scottish university and

Customer Question

I am an international student at a Scottish university and my visa advisor at my university gave the incorrect information about my requirements for a student visa so I was refused entry into the UK and have to return to the US tomorrow morning. Is there any way to prevent from having to head back to the United States to get my visa sorted out
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Alice H replied 5 years ago.

Where are you presently?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I'm at my student accomodation in glasgow and I am a student at glasgow caledonian
Expert:  Alice H replied 5 years ago.
Has you visa expired or been cancelled?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
My visa expired. I was in the process of renewing it but I had to withdraw the application because of a family emergency back in the states. My advisor said that I could come into the UK under a tourist visa but the immigration officers said I could not because I was a full time student here in the UK
Expert:  Alice H replied 5 years ago.
The advice from the immigration officer is correct. As a full time student on a student visa you cannot apply under a different category. If your visa has expired your only option is to renew when you return to the US. If refused you could appeal.
Expert:  Alice H replied 5 years ago.
I hope you found my answer helpful. Please click on the green ACCEPT button and leave FEEDBACK. Your question will not close and you will be free to ask follow up questions if you wish.