Clare
Clare, Solicitor
Experience:  25 years hight street experience
13262538

Im a US premanent resident and have been married to a US-UK

Customer Question

Im a US premanent resident and have been married to a US-UK Dual Citizen for about 2 years now. Im gainfully employed in the USA and we both have always lived in the United states. What are the steps we need to take for me to apply for my British citizenship? How long would it take for me to get naturalized. I would like to know the impact of the Borders, Citizenship and Immigration Act 2009 (BCIA 2009) on our situation. Would me applying for a temp ILR now make more sense if I want to avoid the issues due to BCIA? Thanks, Ryan.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Clare replied 5 years ago.
Hi - Are you intending to come and live in the UK? Claire
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
We would consider moving to the UK.
How long should I have lived in the UK before I apply for and get my ILR(in the current scenario) or Probationary citizenship (after the BCIA)? And also, how long is the time I should live in the UK to qualify for Citizenship?

After getting the ILR/ probabtionary Citizenship, what is minimum number of days/ year that I should have lived in the UK before applying for citizenship?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
We would consider moving to the UK.

Expert:  Clare replied 5 years ago.
Hi - You would first apply for a spouse visa which would give you the right to live and work here for two years - at which point you can apply for ILR - and a year later for Citizenship. you can be out of the country for 90 days out of the tear and still qualify. Claire
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
The answer was too generic, not replying my initial question in full, too late and was not of good quality. In other words, All the above for the reason for another answer - Answer Quality, Inaccurate answer, Incomplete Answer and Answer came too late.
Expert:  Clare replied 5 years ago.
Hi - I am sorry that you feel the answer was generic - but it was in fact the answer that suits your position. If you wish to have UK citizenship you would have to live in the UK for three years (under BICA you can be absent for 90 days in each year) The first two years you would have to have a spouse visa (relatively easy to obtain) and the final year would be covered by ILR. However if you delay your plans until you have been married and living together for four years in the states you could have ILR straight away and would not need a Spouse Visa. BICA has no particular impact on your position aside from the 90 days issue and other than the requirement to reside in the country and fund yourself there is nothing unusual about your position as described above - hence the generic answer. Claire