Clare
Clare, Solicitor
Experience:  25 years hight street experience
13262538

Im a US premanent resident and have been married to a US-UK

Customer Question

Im a US premanent resident and have been married to a US-UK Dual Citizen for about 2 years now. Im gainfully employed in the USA and we both have always lived in the United states. What are the steps we need to take for me to apply for my British citizenship? How long would it take for me to get naturalized. I would like to know the impact of the Borders, Citizenship and Immigration Act 2009 (BCIA 2009) on our situation. Would me applying for a temp ILR now make more sense if I want to avoid the issues due to BCIA? Thanks, Ryan.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
Hi - Are you intending to come and live in the UK? Claire
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
We would consider moving to the UK.
How long should I have lived in the UK before I apply for and get my ILR(in the current scenario) or Probationary citizenship (after the BCIA)? And also, how long is the time I should live in the UK to qualify for Citizenship?

After getting the ILR/ probabtionary Citizenship, what is minimum number of days/ year that I should have lived in the UK before applying for citizenship?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
We would consider moving to the UK.

Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
Hi - You would first apply for a spouse visa which would give you the right to live and work here for two years - at which point you can apply for ILR - and a year later for Citizenship. you can be out of the country for 90 days out of the tear and still qualify. Claire
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
The answer was too generic, not replying my initial question in full, too late and was not of good quality. In other words, All the above for the reason for another answer - Answer Quality, Inaccurate answer, Incomplete Answer and Answer came too late.
Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.