INC
INC, Solicitor-Advocate
Experience:  LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
12179604

Hi I am a Uk citizen and have been writing to a female inmate

Hi
I am a Uk citizen and have been writing to a female inmate in the Texas prison system. We have been writing for about a year and half and i recently met her during a prison contact visit on the 8th and 9th of january. We have fallen in love with each other and i asked her to be my fiance during that visit. We want to get married in the future once she is released. She is on a drug use and selling charge(methadone) and is due for parole this year sept 2011. She is hoping to parole to the state of Chicago as she has close friends who will support her on release.

I do not mind living in the USA as long as i can live with her and marry her one day, but she wants to know if she would be allowed to live in the uk as my wife.

My question is:

1) would she be allowed to parole out of USA to UK if we are husband and wife? Is that decided by the USA alone or by both UK Immigration and USA authorities?
2) would she be able to live in UK as my wife once she has served her sentence even though she would have a criminal record.
3) would it be easier to get married in the USA and live as husband and wife there?
4) how does one go about getting married to an inmate in the USA.

thank you. I really am serious about her and dont know where to turn for advise, so this is my initial enquiry.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  INC replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for your questions.

In response:

1. Yes she would be allowed to join you in the UK as your wife if you were married. The general grounds for refusal, of which good character is one, do not apply to family applicants, thus, your partners application would not be refused under the general grounds if you were to marry. The decision is one which is made purely by the UKBA.

2. Yes she would. If you were married.

3. It would be easier for you to marry in the US and then submit an application for her to join you in the UK or for you to permanently reside in the US.

4. In order to marry an inmate in the US, check with the particular prison he is in to see what the policy is regarding inmate weddings. Some may actually allow a ceremony and time alone for the couple, depending on the nature of his crime, his prison record of disciplinary infractions and the mood of the warden on that given day.

I hope this answers your question. If so, kindly click accept.

If you wish to discuss, please feel free to ask further questions.

Kind regards,

Edited by INC on 1/17/2011 at 12:49 PM EST
INC, Solicitor-Advocate
Experience: LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)