Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

I am here in this country from dec 2000 till up now means 11

I am here in this country from dec 2000 till up now means 11 years running. well, i was holding student visa up to sep 2006 (5 years nine month)than got work permit till up now (4 years 3 months). I heard that i can apply for PR. Is that true? When the immigration officer gave me leave to remain in oct 2006, he told me to apply for PR when i visit croydon next time. So, can i apply now or wait for 5 years for my work permit to finish.

Could you be specific about the type of work permit you are on please (eg. highly skilled, entrepreneur, post-study workers,sponsored skilled worker...)

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I am holding a highly skilled work permit. I am Regestered operating department practitioner. Who works in theatres (who helps anaesthetist, helps passing instrument during operation as well as recover patient after surgery).

Usually on workers visas one would have to have 5 years continuous residence before being able to apply for indefinite leave to remain (effectively the same thing as permanent residency.

In your case I believe that if you are able to prove that you have been lawfully in the UK under first your student visa and then on your workers visa for a continuous period of 10 years then you may be eligible to make an application now for ILR on basis of long residency. You should check here to see if you otherwise meet the eligibility criteria:-

If you do then you could instruct a solicitor to prepare and make the application on your behalf. It would cost in the region of £700-900 +VAT. You can find solicitors via the following website:-

If you do not meet the criteria then you may have to wait until you achieve 5 years continuous residence since obtaining your workers visa and then apply for ILR on that basis. After you have obtained ILR and held it for 12 months you can apply for naturalisation as UK citizen and thereafter a British passport.. Again, there are residential qualifying criteria about any times you have been outside the UK within that period. You can check those here:-

If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. You will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,