Senior Partner
Senior Partner, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor

My wife was born in the US in 1968 to a British mother (a UK

My wife was born in the US in 1968 to a British mother (a UK citizen by birth) and American father. I understand that my wife is now eligible for a British passport under the UKM program. My questions are 1) whether that application process has any pitfalls and whether she is likely to receive the passport she seeks; 2) how long it is likely to take; 3) whether we need expert assistance in preparing the application; and 4) whether that passport would entitle her to residency in the UK, as she would like to relocate and place our son in a British prep school?
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Senior Partner replied 5 years ago.
The principle issue is proving that her mother was an UK citizen at the time of her birth and therefore that your wife would have had the right of abode in the UK. You will see from the application form that you ned to be able to produce a copy not only of her mothers birth certificate but also her UK passport. The application form is pretty straight forward and there is detailed guidance on how to complete it and the documents to be submitted. IT s not something that should require an expert. If you have not seen it you will find all the forms here:

The UKBA claim to process 95% of all applications within 6 months.

If your wife is able to register as a British citizen then she will not be subject to immigration control and will be free to enter and leave as she wishes. You should be aware however that she can not pass her citizenship on to your son and he will need an entry clearance to go to school here as he will not be coming as a visitor.