Senior Partner
Senior Partner, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor

Hi I was reading about dual citizenship for the UK. I was

I was reading about dual citizenship for the UK. I was wondering if you could clarify it for me. Due to the fact that my ancesters (2 great grandmothers- England, and great granfather - Scotland) were born and resided there, and I was born prior to 1983, does that mean that I may be able to apply for dual citizenship as my ancesters were British subjects?

PS I am a 3rd generation Canadian and was born here.

Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Senior Partner replied 5 years ago.
Highly unlikely I am afraid. Was your father a UK citizen? Where were you born ? In Canada? If you were born before 1983 to be a British citizen you needed to be a UK citizen by descent from your father if you were born outside the UK
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I was born in 1979 in Canada, as was my father and grandfather. My great grandfather was born in England. my paternal grandmother was also born in England, as was her mother. I know its a far stretch but I was just wondering what the bounds of ancestry were.
I am afraid your father has to have Uk Citizenship if you are born outside the UK . there was a time when having a British grandparent would get you the right of abode i.e. the right to live here but not citizenship and it not longer applies anyway