mikeotis036
mikeotis036,

My paternal grandfather swore allegiance to King Edward the

Customer Question

My paternal grandfather swore allegiance to King Edward the seventh on the 10th of March 1903. I have the original document in my possesion - will this document help me in obtaining Britisch Overseas Citizenship?
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  mikeotis036 replied 3 years ago.
Welcome, and thank you for your question.

This question mostly belongs in the UK Immigration Law category and I shall gladly refer you to one of the experts in that category. However, it also raises some secondary issues regarding your South African citizenship (if you have SA citizenship) that I would be happy to address, if you are interested, before referring the question.

Alternatively, I'll just refer you to the UK category for the main question. Please advise.

Yours faithfully,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes I am a South African Citizen by birth as is my father and grandfather (though originally from Irish desent), my grandfather was caught spying for the Boer Republics during the Anglo-Boer War and only his friendship with Lord Kitchener saved him from the firing squad - he was deported to the then "Duitswes Afrika" now Namibia, After the war her returned to South Africa and was only allowed into the country on condition that he pledged allegiance to King Edward VII. The document read as follow:

"Whereas, at the time of the outbreak of hostilities between the Government of Her late Majesty Queen Victoria and the Governments of the late South African Republic and the late Orange Free State, I, the undersigned, James Gilliland of Rustenburg, now residing at Rustenburg was a burgher of the South African Republic, and whereas the said South African Republic has been anned to and become part of, the dominions of His Masjesty King Edward the seventh; and whereas, I am desirous of formally claiming and securing all and sundry the rights and priviledges of a Brithish subject, which, by reason of the fact of annexation as foresaid, I am now justly entitled to do; Now, therefore, I herby formally declare that I acknowledge myself to be a subject of His Majesty King Edward the Seventh, and I do sincerely XXXXX XXXXX swear that I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to His Most Gracious Majesty, King Edward the Seventh, His Heirs and Successors according to law. Sworn and declared before me at Rustenburg this 10th day of March 1903. "

The heading of the document :

E.R.

No. 207

----

10736

Hope this give more clarity

Kind Regards

Colleen Ebersohn

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Please confirm that you have received my reply?

Kind Regards

Colleen

THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
Please refer my question and reply to another atorney that can address my original question - will this document help me in obtaining a British Overseas Citizenship? I don't realy care about losing my South African citizenship or retaining it by asking special permission - that will be my desision if and when the time comes - I have definitely not come any closer to obtain an answer to my oroginal question
I'll request the website administrator to refer your question to the UK Law category.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you Mike for the referal to the UK Law Catagory - I have yet to receive an answer from them Will keep my fingers crossed.

Regards

Colleen