Senior Partner
Senior Partner, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor

I have to answer the following question for the Teir 1 visa

<p>I have to answer the following question for the Teir 1 visa application: "Has the applicant ever stayed in the UK beyond the end of his/her period of leave?" and I am unsure of the correct answer. I am a US citizen, who is residing in London with a work permit. I first came here on a 6month work permit on 28-JAN-2008. I submitted my renewal reqest in mid-July, and had it reactivated on 30-JUL-2008 valid until 1-MAR-2009. I applied for another work permit in mid-February, and when I received that permit it said valid from 5-MAR-2009 until 28-JUL-2009.  I am currently here on a visa that began on 15-JUN-2009 and expires 15-JUN-2011.</p><p>Based on this have I overstayed my leave? </p><p>If I have overstayed my leave, what kind of supporting evidence would they require? </p><p>Does it make a difference that I am a US citizen and was not working in the UK during this period? </p><p>Will this hurt my chances of getting a Tier 1?  If so, what can I do to ameliorate the damage?</p>
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Senior Partner replied 5 years ago.
No you have not overstayed your leave - As long as you have applied for an extension before the expiry of your existing leave then your existing leave is extended automatically until the out come of your application. It is is only if you have not reapplied before the expiry of your leave that you become an overstayer.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

So they will not need further information to explain the gaps in my work permit dates?

They shouldn't and their own records should show when you filed the applications.