Senior Partner
Senior Partner, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
18726264

Hi, My name is Jennifer. I would like to know if I am eligable

Customer Question

Hi, My name is Jennifer. I would like to know if I am eligable for a UK passport. My grandmother was born in Wales on 08/05/1905, at Cymmer Porth. She came to Australia when she was approx 16/18 years of age. She married and had children. One of these children was my father, he is still alive and living in Australia.
Please advise

thanks
Jennifer
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Senior Partner replied 6 years ago.
What nationality is your father? Where were you born ? and when?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Hello, My father was born is Australia, as was I. My father was born October 7, 1933 and I was born April 7th, 1958.

cheers Jennifer

Unless your father was a citizen of the UK and Colonies at the time of your birth then you are not entitled to a British passport. You need to have been a uk citizen by descent and that can only happen if you father was a UK citizen at the time of your birth which I suspect is unlikely because women( ie your grandmother) could not pass on their citizenship in the same way as men when your father was born but it is worth checking if he had UK citizenship. Otherwise you are are not entitled to a UK passport I am afraid.