Thomas
Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

How long will the process regarding the application for entry

How long will the process regarding the application for entry clearance take? The applicant is an elderly mother (64 years old) of a British citizen living alone in Africa, who is wholly financially dependent on her son.

Thank you!
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

Has an application been submitted yet?

Tom

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No, it has not been submitted.
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

I would caution that a dependent's visa in this way may only be applied for by a widower parent who is over 65 years of age unless exceptional circumstances apply.

The eligibility criteria is as follows

If you are a widowed parent or grandparent aged 65 or over, or parents or grandparents traveling together and one of you is 65 or over, you may qualify if:

• you are completely or mainly financially dependent on children or grandchildren living and settled in the UK
  • you have no other close relatives in your own country to help you
  • your children or grandchildren can support you without needing help from public funds, and
  • your children or grandchildren have enough accommodation, which they alone own or live in, where you can live without needing any help from public funds.

If you are a parent or grandparent under the age of 65, you may qualify if:

• you are living in the most exceptional compassionate circumstances

It generally takes a solicitor about three to four weeks to prepare the application and supporting documents, less if the supporting documents can be provided quicker.

The UKBA aims to reach a decision within 3 months of the date the application is submitted, but I'm afraid that they frequently overrun and there is little you can do to quicken the process.

If the application is rejected then you may appeal. The appeal date will be approximately 2-3 months after the date of appeal submission.

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,

Tom