Thomas
Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

I am a US citizen and I have overstayed my three-month tourist

I am a US citizen and I have overstayed my three-month tourist visa by six weeks. I am flying back to the US next week. What sort of problems can I expect at passport control when leaving? A nasty stamp in my passport forbidding re-entry? Is there anything that I could do before departure such as contacting the UKBA and telling them a hard luck story that might help?

If you leave the country of your own accord then you will probably not receive a ban from coming back to the uk at a later date - although it would be at the discretion of the ukba immigration officials.

If you are to travel back to the UK for another visit at a later date I would advise that you apply directly to the nearest UK embassy for a visitor's visa before you travel (disclosing and explaining the reasons for your overstay).

You could contact the UKBA but practically they are unlikely to make a note on file until you have left the country of your own accord, I suppose it could not hurt but really the key issue for you is to leave without causing the UKBA any headaches.

If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. You will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,

Tom