How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Senior Partner Your Own Question

Senior Partner
Senior Partner, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 13322
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Senior Partner is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds


Resolved Question:

I came to UK on a student visa in 2007 to pursue a postgraduate degree at Oxford. My visa length was till January 31, 2010. Before my visa expired, I applied for visa extension before January 31, 2010 and chose to make the payment through my debit card. Even though I had the money in my account, my bank did not allow the payment to go through becuase they apply some kind of a "check" on my account that does not allow large sums of money to be debited out via the debit card. This is for fraud prevention.

Owing to the payment trouble my visa application was turned down and I was intimated on February 19. For the new visa application I needed to get the CAS number and the visa application was posted through the auspices of the university on March 1. Hence, I had overstayed my visa for a few weeks. My second visa application was accepted and now my student visa extends till 2011. I will apply for an extension at this point.

However my query is different. I want to settle in the UK and would like to apply for ILR and British citizenship in future. I have heard that 10 years of lawful stay might qualify me for ILR. So at some point in 2017, will I be able to apply for ILR through the 10 year lawful stay route even though I overstayed my visa owing to circumstances beyond my control. Will I be able to make an appeal to the HO telling them that I had no intention of overstaying my visa (I made the visa extension application before January 31) and the overstaying took place due to circumstances beyond on my control. And will I be able to apply for ILR through 10 year legal stay route?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Senior Partner replied 5 years ago.
Hi Thanks for your question. In order to qualify under the 10 year rule you have to have 10 years continuous lawful residence. The Border Agency guidance is that a single short term break in lawful residence due for example to a late application can be ignored at their discretion. So you would under the current rules probably be able to apply for ILR in 2017. As your late application was granted you should be ok but you will need to explain the short break. If that is granted you can apply for citizenship 12 months later.

I would however make a number of comments. First you have to remain here lawfully and that means finding an appropriate basis of stay . If for example you get a work visa it is likely that you will be able to apply for ILR before 2017. Normally you cane do it after 4 years on a work visa.

You should however also bear in mind that the rules are currently being reviewed and there is a lot of political focus on immigration at the moment so there is no guarantee the rules will remain the same.

Finally if you are able to apply in 2017 please do not say the overstaying "was beyond your control" . It will not go down well. Just explain it was a mistake. It is ultimately your responsibility to ensure everything is done on time including payment and you could have checked both the rules about the Debit card and if payment had been made etc . I realise you were relying on your bank but so far as the Border Agency is concerned it is up to you to ensure they get paid.

Good luck
Senior Partner, Solicitor
Satisfied Customers: 13322
Experience: Solicitor
Senior Partner and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • Thomas



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
< Last | Next >
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • A Hayat's Avatar

    A Hayat

    Immigration Solicitor

    Satisfied Customers:

    13 years specialist skill in UK Immigration & Nationality Law
  • Paul Richmond's Avatar

    Paul Richmond


    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons) (First Class), LL.M (Distinction), Immigration Barrister (12 years)
  • Awan-Legal's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Specialist in immigration law with the highest level of accreditation in this area and with many years experience.
  • John Knox's Avatar

    John Knox


    Satisfied Customers:

    solicitor with 8 years experience