Alice H
Alice H, Solicitor Advocate
Experience:  Partner in national law firm.
30932268

hi, my grandfather was born in india and have a British Indian

Customer Question

hi, my grandfather was born in india and have a British Indian Passport he then moved to South Africa, where my dad and i were born, do we qualify for british citizenship.

thanks
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Alice H replied 6 years ago.

When was you father born?

How old are you?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
hi

i am 29 dad and myself born in South Africa
Expert:  Alice H replied 6 years ago.

This is a difficult area of law especially where it concerns overseas citizens.

But briefly the law is that if you were born outside the United Kingdom before 1 January 1983, you became a British citizen if, immediately before that date, you were a citizen of the United Kingdom and Colonies and had the right of abode in the United Kingdom.

In your case your father would have to establish that, having been born before 1983, he was a British Citizen by virtue of your grandfather holding a British Indian Passport and therefore a citizen of a UK Colony . If your father can prove his citizenship of the United Kingdom and Colonies , then you could potentially claim citizenship by descent.

Expert:  Alice H replied 6 years ago.
Many thanks for posting your question. I hope you found my answer helpful. Please click on the green ACCEPT button and leave FEEDBACK. Your question will not close and you will be free to ask follow up questions if you wish.