Clare
Clare, Solicitor
Experience:  25 years hight street experience
13262538

im a british woman and i met my boyfriend seven months ago

Customer Question

im a british woman and i met my boyfriend seven months ago he is from pakistan and has lived over in uk for four years on a student visa and now we would like to get married but want to know how and do we have to get permission from the home office and also im on benefits and could that make a difference or doesnt that matter just need some advice on this as we dont know what to do
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
Hi- He will need to apply for a Certificate of Approval in order to get married details here (http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/applicationforms/coa/coa_form1.pdf)you willhave to show that he will be able to support himself without you having to claim any other benefits. Claire
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
thank you so the home office do you think will say yes to it as we both really want this to happen and me being on benefits that shouldnt make any difference do u think
Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
Hi - You being on benefits will not prevent the marriage - but he MUST be able to show that he can support himself completely with no help from public funds. Claire
Clare, Solicitor
Experience: 25 years hight street experience
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
would like to know what the process is how does he go about it does he just have to phone up the home office and ask them to send a certificate of marriage and then just fill it in and what documents would they want to see from both of us and do we have to send them with the form and also i have two children and he has two would that make a difference about the decision
Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
Hi - Will he wish to bring the children with him? Claire
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
<p>his children are already here with him as well as he has got full custody of them they came with him </p>
Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
Hi - The form and the guide to the form are available here http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/applicationforms/coa/coa - and it gives full details of all the information that he will need. The most important thing however is that he is able to show how he will support himself and the children after the wedding. Claire
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok thankyou and could i phone the home office up on his behalf and ask for the form to b sent through the post dont really want to do it online
Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
Hi - You can but it would be swifter and easier if you just print the form off from the website ( it does not need to be filled in online) Claire
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
is there a fee or anything we have to pay
Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
Hi - At present there is no fee. Claire
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
does it also make a difference if he is over here on a student visa or not plus hes working as well and what if we was to marry in a church of england church would we still have to obtain a certificate
Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
Hi - If you can find a vicar willing to conduct the ceremony then you will not need a certificate. However if your partner is in breach of his visa by working then there is a very real chance that he will not be given permission to stay as a spouse. Claire
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
he is allowed to work 20 hours a week which he is doing and ive heard that u have to at least have 3 months remaining on his visa to apply is that right but at the min he has sent his visa to get an extention so does that mean he wont be able to send the form yet for permission to marry till he gets his visa back
Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
HI - You can still make the application as soon as his passport is returned to him. Claire
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
so even if he hasnt recieved his visa he can send the form off as long as he has got his passport
Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
Hi - Yes there is no longer an absolute requirement that you need 3 months remaining. Claire
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i know you said that he had to wait for his passport to come back so he can apply but what if he just sent them his case reference number would that be possible to do that as he hasnt got his passport back off them yet and dont know how long before they send it back to him
Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
Hi - You can certainly try this since the border agency already have the passport any way. Claire
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
hi was just wondering that when we send the form off do i send my passport with it in the same envelope altogether
Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
Hi - You need to follow the instructions on the form. If you do send your passport off you will need to send it by special delivery. Claire
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
can u tell me what the verification checks are and what they mean by banks and utillity companies as im not sure if its just my boyfriend that has to sign it
Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
Hi - They will want copies of your bank statements and electricity and gas bills so that they can verify that you are who you say you are. Claire
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
if i need to get a birth certificate the one with my mom and dads name on it what do i need to take to get one issued
Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
Hi You can order one online from the Registrars office in your county of birth. Claire
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
if he doesnt get his extention on his visa and he has to go back to pakistan then what do i have to do to be able to stay over there with him for good how would i get residency over there with my two kids
Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
Hi - Are the children his children - if not will their father agree to you taking them there? Claire
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
my children are not his no and i know my ex partner wouldnt like it but i would like to think that after talking about it that he would be ok with it
Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
Hi - You will need either his agreement or an order from the court . It will not be easy I am afraid. Claire
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok might not come to that hopfully what if my boyfriend had to put in for bankruptsy would the home office still give us permission to marry
Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.