INC
INC, Solicitor-Advocate
Experience:  LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
12179604

Hi, Do you know how long my husband can stay in France without

Do you know how long my husband can stay in France without an official French visa? His Norwegian visa expires on 31 December 2010. The web sites state that as a US citizen he does not require a visa to travel to France for tourist purposes if the stay does not exceed 90 days. But is this 90 days a total during a calander year, a consecutive 12 moth period, or can he leave for a few days and then start the 90 days over again? He has now been in France since 1 November plus about 28 days during the 2010 calander year. We going to have to rent a place in Britain while he applies for a French long term visa and are trying to minimize the rent costs.
Thank you.

Thanks for your question.

I have trawled through the details on the French Consulate website and the answer is not very clear.

The rules state that US Citizens are entitled to remain in France on a Tourist Visa for a stay upto 3 months. It does not state whether this is anually. Thus, one would argue that it is a stay of upto 3 months in a consecutive period. This would mean that your husband would be able to leave and then return for another stay of upto 3 months.

I hope this helps. If so, kindly click accept.

If you wish to discuss, please fee free to ask further quesions.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

My husband does not have a Tourist Visa. All he has is the work visa from Norway that expires 31 December 2010. Because a US citizen does not require a tourist visa, would the same conclusion apply? - 'Thus, one would argue that it is a stay of upto 3 months in a consecutive period. This would mean that your husband would be able to leave and then return for another stay of upto 3 months.'

Thank you

Yes the same would apply. US Citizens do not require a Visa as such and are normally granted entry clearance uppon arrival.

I hope this helps.