Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

MY grandfather was born a british national and became an American

Customer Question

MY grandfather was born a british national and became an American citizen in 1938
Can I get a UK passport an duel citizenship from this lineage?
MY name isXXXXX MY grandfathers names is Philiip James Steele.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

What nationality are you? American?

What nationality are your parents? Please also state where they were born.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am american, Mother American, Father birth Atlanta GA Fathers parents names known, but not their history He was taken from birth mother directly.,at time of birth
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

Obviously, you do not qualify for UK citizenship by birth and a period of residence here.

In the case of persons born outside the UK, UK citizenship may only descend from one generation to the next. Your father would qualify for UK citizenship by descent. However because it may only descend one generation to children born outside of the UK you do not.

Sorry it could not be better news.

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my efforts. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I don't understand your answer it is my mothers father we are talking about. I said we know nothing more of my father than the names of his natural parents.

And I must leave for an appt would like to continue this later if possible . At this moment not satified with your response.

But do thank you for your time.

Sincerly E Stone

Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

Sorry for the oversight.

I'm afraid it does not change the advice. As your parents were not born in the UK any UK citizenship that could have descended to them by virtue of your grandparent's UK citizenship would not be able to descend a generation further to you.

Hope this clarifies, if so please click accept. I will continue to answer any follow up questions free of charge.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

THank you for your time sir.

One more Question CAn my mom apply for the citizenship and then make me eligible?

Thank you

E stone

Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

No I'm afraid that would not work. She would be British by descent and that type of citizenship cannot pass down the lineage again.

Thanks for your kind accept.

Your mother