INC
INC, Solicitor-Advocate
Experience:  LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
12179604

Supporting documents for UK visa sponsor. I have compiled

Supporting documents for UK visa sponsor.
I have compiled the usual documents required , 6 months worth of bank statements, 6 months payslips, copy of passport etc but I have fallen foul on one issue.
I am providing full sponsorship for my Russian girlfriend for a 2 month visit to the UK. SHe has just finished studying in Italy and is now back in Russia.
My issue is that I live in my grandfathers house, it is in his name but I cannot show a Tennancy Agreement nor the deeds for the property as it is not in my name. I have lived at that address for 20 years. What documentary evidence should I supply to the ECO's consideration? I have Council Tax, Utility bills etc, will this be good enough with an explaination of why I live mortgage and rent free?
Thank you for your time.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  INC replied 3 years ago.

I would suggest you obtain a statutory declaration from your grandfather stating that he has no objection to you and your girlfriend residing at the property for the duaration of her stay.

You may also wish to produce a copy of the title deeds downloaded from the Land registry website.

Finally, I would also suggest you prepare a Sponsorship Declaration for yourself stating that you will be responsible for maintenance and accomm,odation for your girlfriend for the duration of her stay.

If you wish to discuss, please feel free to ask further questions.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for your prompt reply.

The answer is valid but there is a slight twist to this as my grandfather is uncontactable, nobody knows where he is or if he is still alive or not, as he left the UK 20 years ago. verbally he said to me to live in the house, maintain it and that was it ! The rest of my family know this and it is not an issue as he has several properties and has done the same for my brothers and sisters. This might sound strange but it is true.

Where do I stand now to prove that I have suitable accomodation to accomodate my guest? Does the ECO ultimately want to see the deeds or have an explaination on my circumstances, I really don't want to open up a can of worms for my situation, as if my grandfather has passed away then death duties are due etc etc. I have as mentioned hve Council Tax bills, utility bills all in my name for this address, is this enough to satisfy them on my accomodation?

Many thanks.

Expert:  INC replied 3 years ago.

I am afraid if your grandfather is untraceble, this causes difficulties. You will still have to prepare a statutory declaration, but you may also wish to look into registering for adverse possession of the property.

The best thing to do in this situation is prepare a detailed letter of sponsorship from a local solicitor. This can be done in the form of an affidavit or statutory declaration.

If you wish to discuss, please feel free to ask further questions

Kind regards,

INC, Solicitor-Advocate
Experience: LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)