How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Senior Partner Your Own Question

Senior Partner
Senior Partner, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 13322
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Senior Partner is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi, Im Saudi and my husband as well is Saudi, and he got the

Customer Question

Hi, I'm Saudi and my husband as well is Saudi, and he got the indefinite visa for the uk, so what's the fastest way for me to get it too?
We've been married for almost 4 years (in 21 march 2007) and he is a non domicile resident in the uk, we live together between Saudi and morrocco.
Thank u for ur help
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Senior Partner replied 5 years ago.
Can you clarify your husband's status. You say he has Indefinite leave to remain but that you both live in Saudi and Morocco. How much time does he spend in the UK? Does he have a home here? How long has he had indefinite leave?

Edited by Senior Partner on 12/20/2010 at 5:30 PM EST
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes we both live in Saudi now, before i graduate as vet 5 months ago from morocco we use to stay in morocco as well, as he is a business man he has flexibil schedule.
Yes he owes a house in London.
He got the indefinite visas 3 years ago.
He spend In lonXXXXX XXXXXke 3 months or maby less in total per year.
Thank u
Expert:  Senior Partner replied 5 years ago.
Thanks. At the moment you have no right to get anything other than on a visitors visa. If you decided to settle in the UK then you could apply for a spouse visa to join your husband here and you would be given an initial period of 2 years leave to remain. You could then apply for indefinite leave to remain. Under current rules you would need to be resident here throughout the period other than holidays.

Strictly speaking if your husband is not resident here then his indefinite leave to remain would lapse although there are rules allowing someone to revive their residence within 2 years of leaving.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
My husband is going to go back in London in middle of January so he can apply for the British passport, do u think he can get it easily? And if he gets the british passport, will be easier for me to get it,or do I hav to pass by the same process ( spouse visa, 2 years , indefinite, than passport ?
Cause I heard about a law that said: if we r married for at least 4 years, we live together outside the uk, than I can have directly the indefinite!
Expert:  Senior Partner replied 5 years ago.
I am afraid you have been misinformed. first your husband is not eligible for british citizenship because he has to have been resident in the UK for the five years prior to his application including not being out of the uk for more than 90 days in the 12 months prior to the application.

Noone is eligible for indefinite leave remain unless they are resident here. I t would make no difference if your husband was a UK citizen and you had been married for 20 years. You have to come her to live initially and then apply for indefinite leave.

I am sorry if you had been told otherwise but the current rules are quite clear.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
My husband came in London with an investor visa for five years, he couldnt leave the uk for more than 90 days, then after the five years he got the indefinite, and they told him that now he can apply for the passport whenever he likes and it should take couple of weeks only. He wants to apply for it now before the laws changes. Does it make any sense to u or are we really misinformed ?
Sorry for been long

Expert:  Senior Partner replied 5 years ago.
I am sure what he was told at the time was correct but if he has now been absent of r extended periods he will have to resume residence in the Uk before he can apply for a passport. the rules are here:

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • Thomas



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
< Last | Next >
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • A Hayat's Avatar

    A Hayat

    Immigration Solicitor

    Satisfied Customers:

    13 years specialist skill in UK Immigration & Nationality Law
  • Paul Richmond's Avatar

    Paul Richmond


    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons) (First Class), LL.M (Distinction), Immigration Barrister (12 years)
  • Awan-Legal's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Specialist in immigration law with the highest level of accreditation in this area and with many years experience.
  • John Knox's Avatar

    John Knox


    Satisfied Customers:

    solicitor with 8 years experience