Senior Partner
Senior Partner, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor

Hi, Im Saudi and my husband as well is Saudi, and he got the

Customer Question

Hi, I'm Saudi and my husband as well is Saudi, and he got the indefinite visa for the uk, so what's the fastest way for me to get it too?
We've been married for almost 4 years (in 21 march 2007) and he is a non domicile resident in the uk, we live together between Saudi and morrocco.
Thank u for ur help
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Senior Partner replied 3 years ago.
Can you clarify your husband's status. You say he has Indefinite leave to remain but that you both live in Saudi and Morocco. How much time does he spend in the UK? Does he have a home here? How long has he had indefinite leave?

Edited by Senior Partner on 12/20/2010 at 5:30 PM EST
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes we both live in Saudi now, before i graduate as vet 5 months ago from morocco we use to stay in morocco as well, as he is a business man he has flexibil schedule.
Yes he owes a house in London.
He got the indefinite visas 3 years ago.
He spend In lonXXXXX XXXXXke 3 months or maby less in total per year.
Thank u
Thanks. At the moment you have no right to get anything other than on a visitors visa. If you decided to settle in the UK then you could apply for a spouse visa to join your husband here and you would be given an initial period of 2 years leave to remain. You could then apply for indefinite leave to remain. Under current rules you would need to be resident here throughout the period other than holidays.

Strictly speaking if your husband is not resident here then his indefinite leave to remain would lapse although there are rules allowing someone to revive their residence within 2 years of leaving.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
My husband is going to go back in London in middle of January so he can apply for the British passport, do u think he can get it easily? And if he gets the british passport, will be easier for me to get it,or do I hav to pass by the same process ( spouse visa, 2 years , indefinite, than passport ?
Cause I heard about a law that said: if we r married for at least 4 years, we live together outside the uk, than I can have directly the indefinite!
I am afraid you have been misinformed. first your husband is not eligible for british citizenship because he has to have been resident in the UK for the five years prior to his application including not being out of the uk for more than 90 days in the 12 months prior to the application.

Noone is eligible for indefinite leave remain unless they are resident here. I t would make no difference if your husband was a UK citizen and you had been married for 20 years. You have to come her to live initially and then apply for indefinite leave.

I am sorry if you had been told otherwise but the current rules are quite clear.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
My husband came in London with an investor visa for five years, he couldnt leave the uk for more than 90 days, then after the five years he got the indefinite, and they told him that now he can apply for the passport whenever he likes and it should take couple of weeks only. He wants to apply for it now before the laws changes. Does it make any sense to u or are we really misinformed ?
Sorry for been long

I am sure what he was told at the time was correct but if he has now been absent of r extended periods he will have to resume residence in the Uk before he can apply for a passport. the rules are here:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/britishcitizenship/eligibility/naturalisation/standardrequirements/