How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7408
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi, I wanted to ask a question, my boyfriend who I have known

Customer Question

Hi, I wanted to ask a question, my boyfriend who I have known for almost a year now is from Pakistan. And recently has come here for a visit, he is here for 6 months. We both are over 19. i am a british citizen and he is from pakistan.
my question is what is the best way of getting married, our families do not agree to out marriage and are strictly against it, but we wanted to get married.
My question is if we get married here how do we go about it?
Do I have to go Pakistan and get married to him, or can we do it here.
It is his 1st visit to the uk.
I also wanted to ask that I do not want my family to find out about this marriage, as I am not prepared to tell them.

Could you please help us?
And give us the best advice on how we can go about it.
my email address [email protected]
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.


It's not good news I'm afraid.


You cannot apply for a visa for him based on your marriage until you are both 21 years of age. This criteria is applied very strictly and there is no flexibility in it whatsoever, it's for public policy reasons and is supposed to prevent forced marriages.


Once you are both 21 years of age you can either apply for a fiance visa to marry here or a spouses visa after you have married out of the country.



The eligibility criteria is largely similar for both applications.The advantage is that if your fiance visa is refused then you are not married. If you marry and you spouses visa application is refused initially and then on appeal then you are stuck being married but in different countries.


Here is the criteria you would need to fulfill for a fiance visa, as I say the criteria is largely the same for a spouses visa. If you meet this you will almost certainly not be refused a spouses visa:-


  • You plan to marry within 6 months of her arriving here (egg. statements from you and others, possibly a booking of a church/venue)
  • You plan to live permanently together here (statements, correspondence)
  • You have met each other before (eg. statements from you both and others, correspondence)
  • You can support each other without the need for public funds (bank statements, evidence of income, evidence of jobs available that your husband could do)
  • You have suitable accommodation which is owned or lived in only by you or your household and where you and your dependents can live without any help from public funds (tenancy agreement, land registry docs if you your own home)
  • That neither of you are younger than 21 years of age. (birth certificates, passports)

He will also have to pass and english language test showing he has a basic command of spoken and listening English.


As I say though, until you are both 21 years of age you will have to put up with visitor's visas or with him obtaining a work visa under the points based system or a student visa. Info on these here:-



If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,


Thomas, Solicitor
Satisfied Customers: 7408
Experience: BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi sorry i forgot to mention i am 21 and he is 24 years old
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

In that case you are of age to be eligible to apply.


The UKBA will not entertain an application for a spouses visa or fiance visa whilst he is on a visitor's visa because he was granted that specifically on the basis that he was only here for a fixed period of time. They are very strict with this.


When he returns to Pakistan you can then apply for either a fiance visa or spouses visa by submitting Form VAF4 to the British Embassy there. The form is available for download from the UKBA website and ti would be best for a solicitor to prepare it first to give you the best possible chance of success without appeal.

Thanks for your kind accept.


Customer: replied 5 years ago.

ok. but what about my parents?

i dont want them to find out

is that possible

Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

It's possible, providing that you do not need to name them as being persons on whom you would rely in order to prove the eligibility criteria (eg. if you were going to say that you do not require public funds for your accommodation because you were going to live at a property of theirs - if you did this the uKBA would ask them to provide a statement.


Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hi i have another question to ask.

what if we get married in a mosque do a muslim wedding which is called nikkah and then when he goes bk he applies for a spouse visa?!

Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.
Yes, I believe that you can do that but you will need to have the nikkah registered in Pakistan.


JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • Thomas



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
< Last | Next >
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • Clare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years hight street experience
  • A Hayat's Avatar

    A Hayat

    Immigration Solicitor

    Satisfied Customers:

    13 years specialist skill in UK Immigration & Nationality Law
  • Paul Richmond's Avatar

    Paul Richmond


    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons) (First Class), LL.M (Distinction), Immigration Barrister (12 years)
  • Awan-Legal's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Specialist in immigration law with the highest level of accreditation in this area and with many years experience.