Clare, Solicitor
Experience:  25 years hight street experience

My wife (a British subject) has committed bigamy as she married

My wife (a British subject) has committed bigamy as she married me (a British subject) whilst still married to an Albania man she married in Albania for money. The money was in exchange or this man to work in the UK. This was purely a cash for access rights to the UK deal as no relationship existed prior to nor after the marriage.

This man was unsuccessful in gaining entry into the UK as his application was revoked by the Embassy in Tirana. I believe these marriages are called sham marriages which is being investigated by the UKBA.

My question is this, Is the above (the sham marrriage part), a crime under UK law or, as the marriage took place overseas it's not a crime under UK Law. If it is a crime under UK law who can be punished for it?
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Clare replied 5 years ago.
Hi - If she married you in the UK whilst still married abroad then that is bigamy and she can be prosecuted in the UK. iF the other marriage took place in Albania then any crime that was committed was committed Abroad and cannot be prosecuted here. Claire