Senior Partner
Senior Partner, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor

I am working legally in UK for 3 years, but i have never been

Customer Question

I am working legally in UK for 3 years, but i have never been registered with WRS (Workers Registration Scheme, I am coming from Poland). After that i have moved from London to Sheffield and i tried to get benefits. I have been refused. They said that, because i have not registered with WRS i cannot be considered to have worked here legally. My question is, why i had to pay tax and NIN contributions? It has been 20k pounds already. Can i claim it back, if english law says that, i am a illigal worker?
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Senior Partner replied 5 years ago.
What you have been told is correct. If you came ot the uk after Poland became a member of the EU in 2004 you were required to register and your employment is illegal and your employer is committing an offence if you don't do so. you are required to pay tax and national insurance because the law requires that your employer deduct these taxes and you are obliged to pay them on your income. I am afraid the fact that you are in breach of one law does not entitle you to avoid another!

The WRS will expire next year but if you work in the meantime you need to register