How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Senior Partner Your Own Question
Senior Partner
Senior Partner, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 13325
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Senior Partner is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am working legally in UK for 3 years, but i have never been

Customer Question

I am working legally in UK for 3 years, but i have never been registered with WRS (Workers Registration Scheme, I am coming from Poland). After that i have moved from London to Sheffield and i tried to get benefits. I have been refused. They said that, because i have not registered with WRS i cannot be considered to have worked here legally. My question is, why i had to pay tax and NIN contributions? It has been 20k pounds already. Can i claim it back, if english law says that, i am a illigal worker?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Senior Partner replied 6 years ago.
What you have been told is correct. If you came ot the uk after Poland became a member of the EU in 2004 you were required to register and your employment is illegal and your employer is committing an offence if you don't do so. you are required to pay tax and national insurance because the law requires that your employer deduct these taxes and you are obliged to pay them on your income. I am afraid the fact that you are in breach of one law does not entitle you to avoid another!

The WRS will expire next year but if you work in the meantime you need to register

Related UK Immigration Law Questions