Senior Partner
Senior Partner, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor

I have an acquaintence who is an illegal alien in the UK. Shes

I have an acquaintence who is an illegal alien in the UK. She's been here for some time with her two children and receives housing and benefits from the Home Office. She has been to an immigration lawyer in London who speaks her language (Sri Lanka) and he told her he would take her case (whatever that means) for £1300. The lawyer wants the money upfront. She wants to borrow the money from me to send to him. I want to help her, and I'm not opposed to doing this, but from what I can tell she has nothing in writing from him about this matter. Shouldn't there be a letter, or a proposal, or something written down on paper that says what he is going to do? All she has is a scrap of paper with his name and address written on it.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Senior Partner replied 5 years ago.
Solicitors are required to give their clients proper engagement letters and I would certainly want to see something in writing setting out what he will do for the money. If this lawyer is a properly accredited solicitor then he should be happy to provide a proper letter. Otherwise I would not use him . there are plenty of accredited immigration lawyers out there.