How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Paul Richmond Your Own Question

Paul Richmond
Paul Richmond, Barrister
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 138
Experience:  LL.B (Hons) (First Class), LL.M (Distinction), Immigration Barrister (12 years)
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Paul Richmond is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

To whom it may concern, I am a 38 year old South African citizen.

Resolved Question:

To whom it may concern,
I am a 38 year old South African citizen. I hold a BA Hons degree & spent many years as a Director of an Advertising Agency. I am currently a single mother and a stay-at-home mom to a 3 and a half year old little girl. She has no acting father, and her unabridged birth certificate indicates as much i.e. only my name is XXXXX XXXXX Most of my family live in the UK , all my daughter's cousins are over there, and I would like to find out the feasibility of re-locating there myself. I have sufficient funds to support myself while studying over there for a short while, and I also have sufficient funds to send my child to a so-called private school (I think that they are in fact called 'public schools' in the UK). Ideally I would like to do a PGCE (post graduate degree in education) conversion ontop of my existing degree, which is from UCT and therefore internationally recognised. I would then ideally like to get a job in teaching in the UK, while my child attends school there. I understaned that obtaining entry into the UK to live is at the moment, more difficult than ever .... would it be possible for you to please advise me if I should pursue it, or whether I don't meet any of the criteria and shouldn't pursue it. Much appreciated.
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Paul Richmond replied 5 years ago.

Thank-you for your question. There are many different routes by which foreign nationals can enter and remain in the UK, all with different requirements. A good place to start is to take a look at the website of the UK Border Agency. This provides a useful outline of all the various immigration routes and the requirements of each. The website is available at:


From the information that you have provided it seems that the visitor categories will not be appropriate because they will only allow you to stay in the UK for a limited period. It also seems unlikely that you will be able to enter the United Kingdom solely in order to settle with your family members. This route is only available to foreign nationals who wish to enter the UK to join their husband/wife, unmarried partner, parent(s) or other relative(s) upon whom they depend financially. Therefore, you should probably be looking to enter the UK in order to either study or work.


If you wish to enter the UK as a student then you should apply under the Points Based System for entry clearance as a Tier 4 (Student) Migrant. You can apply for this visa 3 months in advance of the course starting. As a Tier 4 (General) student, you must score 40 points in the UKBA's points assessment. You can score 30 points for having a valid confirmation of acceptance for studies, which you get for studying a course at an acceptable level with an approved education provider (also known as a 'Tier 4 sponsor'); and 10 points for having enough money (also known as maintenance or funds) to cover your course fees and living costs. For further and more detailed information on the specific requirements I suggest that you take a look at the following area of the UKBA's website - hopefully this will provide all the information that you require: At the end of your period of stay as a student, you could then apply under Tier 1 of the Points Based System for further leave to remain as a Post-Study Worker.


Alternatively you may wish to consider entering the UK for the purposes of work straight away. If so, you will have to apply under either Tier 1 (Highly Skilled Workers) or Tier 2 (Skilled Workers) of the Points Based System. All the information that you should need on applying for a Tier 1 (Highly Skilled Worker) visa is available here: All the information that you should need on applying for a Tier 2 (Skilled Worker) visa is available here:


The UKBA has a tool which allows you to calculate how many points you may get, and indicates whether you may be eligible to work or study in the United Kingdom under the points-based system. It is available here:


I hope I have been able to point you in the right direction to the information that you are looking for. Please kindly click the green ACCEPT button so that I may be compensated for my time. Thank-you.


Paul Richmond, Barrister
Satisfied Customers: 138
Experience: LL.B (Hons) (First Class), LL.M (Distinction), Immigration Barrister (12 years)
Paul Richmond and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • Thomas



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
< Last | Next >
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • A Hayat's Avatar

    A Hayat

    Immigration Solicitor

    Satisfied Customers:

    13 years specialist skill in UK Immigration & Nationality Law
  • Paul Richmond's Avatar

    Paul Richmond


    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons) (First Class), LL.M (Distinction), Immigration Barrister (12 years)
  • Awan-Legal's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Specialist in immigration law with the highest level of accreditation in this area and with many years experience.
  • John Knox's Avatar

    John Knox


    Satisfied Customers:

    solicitor with 8 years experience