Thomas
Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

hi there is there any other way for us to get a cerificate

hi there is there any other way for us to get a cerificate of approral and how would we go about applying for one? also is there any way for us to get married in church ? if so what documents would we need? many thanks
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

Hi

How old are you both?

Are you a UK citizen?

Is it intended that, ultimately, you will both reside here (if possible)?

Tom

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
hi i am 43 years old and my fiance ia 38 we are both living in the uk i am french and he is from bangladesh
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

It is not a requirement that you are physically living together in order to be eligible for a certificate of approval. However you would need either his passport (which I note he does not have) or an ID card from his country in order to make the application for a COA.

If he has an ID card then he can apply for one. The UKBA may ask for further information and corroborating evidence of your relationship because he does not have a valid leave to remain.

Alternatively, if he has an ID card then you can marry in an Anglican church here without requiring a COA.

If you are able to get married in accordance with the above then he would still be asked to return home to make his application for a residence card as the non-EEA spouse of an EEA national though I'm afraid. They are extremely strict about that.

If he does not have an ID card then the only option is for him to return home. You could either then go out there to marry him so that he could make a residence card application as above thereafter

I am very sorry it could not be better news.

If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,

Tom

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
thank you for your amswer , please could you tell me what kind of coberating evidence the uk boarder agency would need to prove we are in a relationship with thanks
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

That would be such things as letters, emails and text messages which show you have been in correspondence during the course of your relationship.

If you have also been away together then evidence of that (flights, booking accommodation etc) would also assist.

Thank you for your kind accept.

Kind regards,

Tom

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

if he does not have any id at all that means he has to go back to his own country to get married to me how long would it take for the bangladeshi high comission to grant this? and how long would i have to stay in the united kingdom without him?? is it not possible that the uk border agency can provide a photo copy of his passport as they are currently holding it now as he is "illegal" the uk border agency has provided my fiance with 2 tickets on different occasions to go back to banglasdesh but he has refused them as he would like to remain in this country so we can get married and start a family. he has evidence that if he can stay here/return to the uk he will have a full time job held for him. if the uk border agency could supply my fiance with a photo copy of his passport we could get married in a anglican church.

Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

If he does not have an ID card then I'm afraid that he will not be able to get married in the UK at the moment. A photocopy of his passport would not be sufficient to enable marriage in an anglican church.

Processing times for applications vary quite a bit. The UKBA aims to reach a decision on each application within 8-10 weeks, but they frequently over run this by a considerable amount (sometimes 4 months for decision) depending on the backlog of work they have and how well prepared the application under consideration is.

I'm very sorry.

Kind regards,

Tom