How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7407
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Got a letter from the Home Office on Friday that my application

This answer was rated:

Got a letter from the Home Office on Friday that my application for a marriage visa was refused because I do not have an unexpired leave to remain at the time of application. It was the same situation before we applied for the Certificate of Approval which they granted because we had proved that we had a genuine intention to marry and look after our two kids. Whilst waiting for the outcome, my wife went to the HO and they changed her settlement visa to reflect her status as a Mrs with my surname. They gave no recourse to appeal their decision. Do you think I have chance by getting the decision overturned by seeking a Judicial Review? My simple argument is this: If they are quite happy to let me marry here by granting the COA, recognized my wife as legally married to me here in the UK, why cant they grant the visa here? And if I should decide to go to my country to apply from there, will it be a pretty much straightforward case of getting the visa because of our marriage having been conducted in the UK or my overstaying may become a big problem?



Can you confirm:-

1. How your wife has settled status here

2. When you married

3. What your visa status was and when it expired

4. That you have applied for a spouses visa and it has been refused without a right of appeal because you have at present no legal right to remain in the UK.


Kind regards,


Customer: replied 5 years ago.
1. Wife has an Indefinite Leave to Remain visa.

2. June 2010.

3. It was a Workingholiday visa and expired in 2001.

4. Absolutely.

Okay, so you have overstayed for a period of 9 or ten years. Correct?



Customer: replied 5 years ago.
That is right Tom.

It's is not worth going to JR on. There is a distinction between how an overstay effects gaining a COT and applying for a spouses visa from inside the UK.


The COT is granted because a person has a right to marry in the UK regardless of their overstay, it stems from Article 12 Right to Marry of Human Rights Act. To deny this would be incompatible with that Act.


This does not mean that because one is permitted to marry here they are also permitted leave to remain as a result of that marriage and I believe it says as much on the bottom of the COT. The two are distinct from each other.


The overstay is a general reasons for refusal under the immigration rules. However under Rule 320 this general reasons do not apply to family applications (which yours is):-


This means that you can apply for a spouses visa from outside the country (ie. back home) and the overstay will not in and of itself be a valid reason for refusal. If there are no other defects in your application then it will be fine and you should be granted a visa.


Only you should return home, not your kids. They should stay here until you have obtained visa.


You may also consider seeing a UK immigration solicitor to prepare your out of country application before you return home to ensure the application is as cogent and easily read as it can be so that a decision can be reached easily by the UKBA.


If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.


Kind regards,



Thomas, Solicitor
Satisfied Customers: 7407
Experience: BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Thomas and 2 other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • Thomas



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
< Last | Next >
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • Clare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years hight street experience
  • A Hayat's Avatar

    A Hayat

    Immigration Solicitor

    Satisfied Customers:

    13 years specialist skill in UK Immigration & Nationality Law
  • Paul Richmond's Avatar

    Paul Richmond


    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons) (First Class), LL.M (Distinction), Immigration Barrister (12 years)
  • Awan-Legal's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Specialist in immigration law with the highest level of accreditation in this area and with many years experience.