I'm a UK lawyer. Thanks for your question.
There is no requirement to marry three months before your current visa expires but you MUST have your application for a spouses visa submitted to the UKBA before expiry of your current visa.
Here is the criteria for a spouses visa so that you can check you will be eligible -
You will have to show:-
- 1. That you are legally married to each other (marriage certificate)
- 2. You have met before (statements, correspondence)
- 3. You are not in breach of the immigration rules (your visa)
- 4. Your decision to marry was not due to you potentially being deported)
- 5. Your husband is present and settled in the UK (eg. Passport, proof of accommodation)
- 6. You intend to live permanently together here in the UK as husband and wife (statements, evidence of her (statements, correspondence(
- 7. You can support each other without the need for public funds (bank statements, evidence of income)
- 8. You have suitable accommodation which is owned or lived in only by you or your household and where you and your dependents can live without any help from public funds (tenancy agreement, land registry docs if you your own home)
- 9. That neither of you are younger than 21 years of age. (birth certificates, passports)
If you are to marry in the UK then you must first apply for a certificate of approval so that you can marry. Please see this link for information:-
The UKBA aims to process 65% of applications for COAs within four weeks but you should allow a lot longer than this to actually get the certificate within the time required so that you can marry and prepare your application for a spouses visa.
You can find Uk immigration solicitors through the following Law Society Website search engine:-
Or contact the Immigration Advisory Service for more advice in the future (it's free):-
If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.
Edited by T_Graham12 on 9/28/2010 at 4:20 PM EST