How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Yvonne Stevens Your Own Question

Yvonne Stevens
Yvonne Stevens, Immigration Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 6
Experience:  LLB. Hons.
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Yvonne Stevens is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am Agnes. Polish citizen. living and working in U.K. for

Customer Question

I am Agnes. Polish citizen. living and working in U.K. for three years. The problem is I have a boyfriend for three years and he is a failed asylum seeker. He has lived in U.K. for 6 years now. We are planning to start a family and don't know from where to start. He doesn't have his passport with him. He has home office papers and a negative decision on asylum case. On top of that he has served 3mth sentence in prison for harrassment of his ex when they broke up. We really want to leave the past behind, get married and carry on with our lives but donot know what to do?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Yvonne Stevens replied 5 years ago.


Dear Agnes


You can apply to the UK Border Agency for permission to marry. They are not concerned whether he is here lawfully or not, just if the relationship is genuine. If you have evidence to prove that you have been living together eg, bank statements, utility bills, etc and photographs of you together then it will help your application. Alternatively, if you are able to marry in an Anglican church then you do not need permission from the UK Border Agency to marry. You mention that your partner is a failed asylum seeker, he may well be under the Home Office legacy case which deals with the back log of failed asylum seekers who are still in the UK. He should see a solicitor about this since the UK Border Agency are making decisions under the legacy and some people are being granted indefinite leave to remain. Either way, you can apply to marry and once you are married, then he will become a family member and protected under European law.


Hope this helps





Yvonne Stevens, Immigration Solicitor
Satisfied Customers: 6
Experience: LLB. Hons.
Yvonne Stevens and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
thank you very much. your advice has been very informative. Just need to confirm one little thing. If he goes to police station to register a complain of lost passport in order to get a new one from embassy so that it will be easier to get married in a church. Will he be detained in the police station?? will police check his immigration status before or while registering a complaint of lost passport??
Expert:  Yvonne Stevens replied 5 years ago.
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • Thomas


    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
< Last | Next >
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • A Hayat's Avatar

    A Hayat

    Immigration Solicitor

    Satisfied Customers:

    13 years specialist skill in UK Immigration & Nationality Law
  • Paul Richmond's Avatar

    Paul Richmond


    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons) (First Class), LL.M (Distinction), Immigration Barrister (12 years)
  • Awan-Legal's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Specialist in immigration law with the highest level of accreditation in this area and with many years experience.
  • John Knox's Avatar

    John Knox


    Satisfied Customers:

    solicitor with 8 years experience