How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7569
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello I would like to ask a few questions. I would like to

This answer was rated:

I would like to ask a few questions.
I would like to marry thai girl in uk. She came here on student visitor visa and her visa will expire on 30th of december 2010 . We have been living together for 4 months already and we would like to marry . I am Polish and I have been in uk for about 4 years now.We have known each other for about 2 years now and first time we met here in uk when she was studying , then she had to go back to thailand to look after her dad who had car accident. During that time I also visited her in thailand in february 2010 and she came here 10th of april 2010 as a student visitor visa and since then we have been living together .
I would really appreciate any help as I am stuck at this moment. Many people say different things and I am confused . I need concise and professional help.
Please take into account that our plans are genuine and we plan to spend life together.
What do we need to do to get married here ?
Can we marry here ?
How much it will cost us if we can get married?
I would really appreciate your help

Thank you in advance

Hi Piotr ,


Thanks for your question


If she is in the UK and you wish to marry here then she will need to apply for a certificate of approval to get married here. You will not have to pay a fee for this but you will need to submit Form COA to the UKBA. They aim to complete 65% of all applications within 4 weeks of receipt. You can download the form from the UKBA website. Once you have the Certificate you can get married here


Once you are married she will need to apply for residence card as a spouse of an EEA national, this will give her a right of residence here for a set period of time.. They are gratned for 5 year periods and you can see the information that you will need to make the application here:-


If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may b e rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.


Kind regards,



Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related UK Immigration Law Questions