Thomas
Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

Hello my name is Colin Ive know my wife to be for two years.

Hello my name is Colin

I've know my wife to be for two years. I am British and engaged to a lovely woman from the Philippines. We plan to marry in October but after reading other peoples experiences I'm worried that it would take a lot of time and expense for her to get permission live with me in the UK where I'm resident. We both are professionals with degrees. I work in IT. My wife to be studied at the University of Bagiou 1997 and has a Bachelor of Science Degree in Medical Technology, and work is a Registered Medical Technologist (Biomedical Scientist) in the Middle East.

Question

Is there anything we need to be aware of before we get married. Is there anything we can do now before we get married that will make things easier when My wife to be to does apply to enter UK to live with me?

Also, is the process lengthy? How long does it normally take?
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.

Are you asking what you need to do in order for your wife to come here once you are married?

Where are you planning on getting married?

Tom

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes, I need to know what I need to do inorder for my wife to come here once we are married. I also need to know what not to do, We don't want to make any mistakes.

We plan to get married in the Philippines on October the 10th.

Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.

Once you are married she will have to apply for a spouses visa to the British Embassy in the Phillipines.

You will have to show:-

• 1. That you are legally married to eachother (marriage certificate)
  • 2. You have met before (statements, correspondence)
  • 3. You are not in breach of the immigration rules (your visa)
  • 4. Your decision to marry was not due to you potentially being deported)
  • 5. Your wifeis present and settled in the UK (eg. Passport, proof of accommodation)
  • 6. You intend to live permanently together here in the UK as husband and wife (statements, evidence of her (statements, correspondence(
  • 7. You can support each other withoutthe need for public funds (bank statements, evidence of income)
  • 8. You have suitableaccomodation which is owned or lived in only by you or your household and where you and your dependents can live without any help from public funds (tenancy agreement, land registry docs if you your own home)
  • 9. That neither of you are younger than 21 years of age. (birth certificates, passports)

You will need to apply for settlement (ie. spouses visa) by using form FLR (M) Settlement, available for download from UKBA's website. It would be best for either a solicitor in the UK to prepare it in consultation with both you and your wife before submitting it.

You can find Uk immigration solicitors through the following Law Society Website search engine:-

http://www.lawsociety.org.uk/choosingandusing/findasolicitor.law

It might be easier to apply for a fiance visa so that she can come here to get married here and then apply for a spouses visa after marriage. If you are rejected then it would be best to be rejected, or so I would think, before you are married rather than after.

Obviously, using public funds is a big no no, but if you want the best possible chance of a sucessful application without the need to appeal then there really is no substitute for instructing an immigration solicitor to do it for you, it will cost £600-1000 +Vat but you would pay more than this if you submitted it yourself, it was then rejected and you then instructed a solicitor to act for you on appeal.

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,

Tom

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
If everything is in order how long does the process take on average?
Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.

The UKBA aims to deal with the bulk of applications so that a decision is made within 2-3 months of submission, but it frequently depends on the level of backlog they have at the time the application is made.

The better view is that the UKBA will be receiving more and more applicaitons from now until the new act comes in to force next July, so I would think about doing it as soon as possible. Or at least prepping your application now.

I hope this clarifies, if so please kindly click accept.

Kind regads,

Tom

Thomas, Solicitor
Experience: BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor