Yvonne Stevens
Yvonne Stevens, Immigration Solicitor
Experience:  LLB. Hons.
37195865

I am brazilian, i came as a tourist on holiday to the UK and decided t

Customer Question

<p>I am brazilian, i came as a tourist on holiday to the UK and decided to stay a bit longer as had 6 months visa, my money ran out and the situation forced me to overstay.I arrived in London on September 2006. I met my now fiance, he is English, and we've been in a relationship for over 2 years now. We want to get married but don t know what to do.</p><p> We have been to Citizens advice, we were told that we could get married here but the Certificate of approval could be denied because I'm an overstayer. The advisor said the best option is to get married in my home country and then apply for a spouse visa, but i should not say that I am a overstayer, in other words I should lie. However, we don t have any records of our relationship (e-mails, letters, etc) as we live together. The records we do have, pictures, proof of address, phone records, show that I am in UK. What to do? Thanks</p>
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 4 years ago.

How long did you overstay for?

Tom

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I arrived in London on September 2006. My fiance is english.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: No answer yet.
Expert:  Yvonne Stevens replied 4 years ago.

DearCustomer/p>

You can apply to the UK Border Agency for permission to marry. The fact that you have overstayed will not mean that they will automatically refuse you. They are more concerned about whether you have a genuine relationship or not. If you do not have much by the way of evidence, if you have friends who know that you have been together, you can get them to do statements to confirm your relationship. Alternatively, once you a

have better evidence confirming you living together ie utility bills, bank statements etc you could apply then. If you decide to return to Brazil and if you marry there and apply for entry clearance then your overstaying cannot be used against you because you are returning in a capacity which will lead to settlement

Hope this answers your question.

Regards

Yvonne

Yvonne Stevens, Immigration Solicitor
Experience: LLB. Hons.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.

DearCustomer/p>

I am really sorry but, the terms of service at JA prevent customers and experts from exchanging personal identifying information, even for purposes of obtaining legal representation. All communication is supposed to be on site.

Regards

Yvonne

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Yvonne, this is your answer to my question a couple of weeks ago. I understood overall, however, there is a bit missing. Could your rewrite it for me, please? Thanks.

DearCustomer/p>

Hope this answers your question.

Regards

DearCustomer/p>

The missing part is basically, once you have better evidence to prove your relationship you can apply for a Certificate of Approval.

Good luck with what you choose to do.

Regards

Yvonne

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Yvone, thanks to your help much needed at the time. Now I am already married, however, I have got a problem, I ve taken the required English test for spouse, TOEFL, on 26th Feb, until now I haven´t received the test report with the score. I know I scored enough, as they display the result at the website. I would like to know if I print the result from the internet with all the information and explain that I haven t received the score report, the officer clearence would accept it as evidence that I do speak and understand the language???

Regards,

Karla Siddle

Expert:  Yvonne Stevens replied 3 years ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.