How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CharlotteSJ Your Own Question
CharlotteSJ, Immigration Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 78
Experience:  I have 6 years experience in Immigration law and I am accredited to LSC Level 2 and OISC Level 3.
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
CharlotteSJ is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am an asylum seeker from Ukraine. Case was refused in 2002

This answer was rated:

I am an asylum seeker from Ukraine. Case was refused in 2002 and now i have 2 options : 14 years and open legacy case.To make case stronger i need to pass Life in U.K. test.My passport was lost ( i have ref.Nr from the Police),run out 14 years ago,Ukrainian Ambassy said they give only "certifivate to return to Ukraine" valid for one month if i provide letter from the police obout lost passport.Police said thay don't give any letters ,ref number will do for Ukrainian Ambassy" as a proof. Ukrainian Ambassy wants certified translation of Police letter. To pass a Life in UK i need passport .????Any way out from this mess...P.s. i only have copy of SAL 2 from Home office

If you are here as a failed asylum seeker and you are being considered by the Home Office under legacy then for this, the life in the UK test will make no difference.


You are correct that for an application for long residence, you will need to show that you have passed the life in the UK test, however you simply need your passport to prove that it is you taking the test and not someone taking the test on your behalf. Therefore a certificate to return to the Ukraine from the Embassy, will not satisfy this unless it features a photograph of you, in which case you could try and provide alternative photographic proof for example, getting photographs certified as being a true likeness of you by a professional who has known you for a long time eg a doctor or solicitor.


If you contact the test centre and see what other evidence they would be willing to accept then you can try and proceed on this basis. If they refuse to let you take the test on the basis that you don't possess photographic proof, you could try and challenge this decision. Go and seek advice from a local solicitor about this.


I hope this answers your question in which case please accept. If you require anything further, please ask.

CharlotteSJ and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related UK Immigration Law Questions