How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7528
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a British citizen and my fiancee is an American citizen.

This answer was rated:

I am a British citizen and my fiancee is an American citizen. We have been looking into both American Immigration and British Immigration, in attempt to find the best possible solution for us to be able to get married and live together indefinitely.

If we were to apply for a fiancee visa for her to eventually live here in Britain what are the financial requirements for me to act as her sponsor?

Is there a minimum annual salary to act as a sponsor like there is in America?
If there is, would I have to have held that employment for a certain amount of time prior to applying for the fiancee visa?
Would the fact that my fiancee has three children effect the financial requirements for me to act as their sponsor?

Thank you for your time,


Hi Jon,

Thanks for your question.

There are no numerical thresholds which you have to meet in order to be eligible for a fiance visa (and a spouses visa thereafter). The standard you have to meet is, as you say, that you will have to support and house yourselves and dependents without the need to access public funds.


This means that you must be able to show that you have sufficient assets and income (both you and you fiance) that the will meet the expenses of day-to-day costs (food, bills, clothing etc) and the amount you spend on your accommodation (eg rent or mortgage). Obviously this varies according to , yes, the amount of dependents you have (ie., day to day expenses go up) and the cost of rent/food etc in differing parts of the UK.


In your application you should make it easy for the UKBA to grant you a visa by outlining a realistic budget for the expenses above and evidence of your income and assets. If your wife is to work here but does not have a job offer then you should show a list of available jobs that she could do and perhaps a letter from her current job stating her skills an experience. Similarly you should do this for you.


In the end it's about presenting a reasonable case to the UKBA that you will not be a burden on the state.


If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,



Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

You're welcome.


Good luck.