INC, Solicitor-Advocate
Experience:  LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)

I am a UK Citizen, but my Wife is American. We are planning

I am a UK Citizen, but my Wife is American. We are planning to move to the UK. I am planning on going over first to look for a job, because the Border Agency site says that, you must be able to prove that "you can support yourselves and any dependants". However, we would like to minimize the amount of time we are stuck apart. So the question we are wondering is: Can we start the visa application process before I am settled there, or before I have a job there, and provide proof of income, etc when she is moving over?
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  INC replied 6 years ago.

How long have you and your wife been married?

many thanks,

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Since December 28, 2009
Expert:  INC replied 6 years ago.

Thanks for the additional information.

If you have been married since December 2009 and wish to move to the UK, your wife will need to apply for a Spouse Visa before moving to the UK to live permanently.

In order to submit a successful application, you will need to prove that you can accomodate and maintain yourselves without recourse to public funds.

If you are currently not working and have no source of income, you will find this difficult.l However, this does not mean that you cannot submit an application. Provided you can prove that there is jobs available for you to apply to when in the UK and you have sufficent means to support and accomodate yourselves, you should have a reasonable prospect of success.

In response to your questions, yes you can submit the application before you obtain employment, however, whether your application is successful is another matter. In this instance, you would be advised to obtain details of jobs which are available in the area you wish to move to.

I hope this answers your question. If so, kindly click accept.

If you wish to discuss, please feel free to ask further questions.

Kind regards,