INC
INC, Solicitor-Advocate
Experience:  LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
12179604

Hi. I am an Indian, was born in Kampla, Uganda and my birth

Hi. I am an Indian, was born in Kampla, Uganda and my birth certificate mentions both parents -british nationality. We had to leave in 11972 as Idi Amin's refugees to India. Then we were minors and still on my mother's passport. After coming to India my mother renounced her passport as she would not get a job in India otherwise. I only have a document of my father's saying he has renounced it. The British passport was submitted to the British consulate, I think. My question is " Is it possible to apply for british nationality now on the grounds that I was a minor and not asked when it was given up and I have my birth certificate too". Where do I apply - UK embassy? Pls help

Thanks for your question.

If your parents have renounced their British Nationality, I cannot see how you can claim for Citizenship if your parents only currently hold Indian Nationality.

I hope this answers your question. If so, kindly click accept.

If you wish to discuss, please feel free to ask further questions.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I think my question is not abt my parent's nationality , it is abt whether i am eligible to get back my earlier citizenship when it was taken from me, when I was a minor. .my parents are deceased, since i was a minor and was not given a choice about it, now i want it back, ie my question. pls can you answer.
thanks.

I am afraid not. If your parents renounced their UK Nationality and at the time you were a minor, the decision had been made for you by your parents.

If you now wish to obtain UK Citizenship, you will have to apply following meeting of the requirements of the immigration rules.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
ie why I need a good lawyer to fight my case.
On what basis?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
You are the expert here, please can you check for documents relating to East Africa Indians. I am sure I saw some when I googled. Is there a chance you can research cases in the past on these issues. I can't remember the site, but if I have any references for my case, it could make a difference. Since I am not a lawyer, I can't answer your question but guide you what I need from you. I actually want to know what are the reasons on which I can fight this case. Please don' t take me the wrong way, hope you can help.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

pls read previous message.